Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Today's picture, while we are on the subject of horrible necklines, shows another interbellum gent  -- this one doesn't seem quite so bad to me as yesterday's Prince of Wales. He is Beverley Nichols, and the picture is the frontispiece of his Autobiography, "Twenty Five", published in 1926. People who were around to read British women's magazines in the 1950's will remember his name well.

His neckline seems to be a sort of facing with a small Fair Isle motif, clearly, somehow or other, knit separately and attached.

My Knitting

Just to keep you posted -- I finished tidying one sleeve-hole of the Fair Isle jacket last night, and then dealt with the yarn ends down the corresponding sleeve "seam". I started tidying the other sleeve-hole steek, but haven't finished that. I should manage it, along with the yarn-ends, this evening. Then I think I'll do the edges of the front steek before I pick up stitches for the button bands, but leave the neck-tidying for the very last. One great advantage of a cardigan is that all the body yarns were attached in mid-steek and won't have to be dealt with one-by-one.

Non-Knit

In London we bought an up-to-date Palm on which my husband means to store his magnum opus so that he can have access to the whole thing when looking up niggling points in libraries. It is a thoroughly wonderful little machine, about the size of a RyVita. (It's neither a camera nor a telephone, which keeps the size down.) Yesterday I got it talking to my computer, and started on the job of getting my husband's files into it. Every one of them, and there are hundreds, has to be loaded into my computer, thereby upgrading it from his old DOS-based system to a modern format, and then saved as a Word file which the Palm can read. It will take me the rest of my life. Maybe I can compose a macro of some sort.

I profoundly lament the demise of the computer manual, a literary form I used to adore. I fell I am going to be floundering around for a long time, stumbling on features of this terrific little machine, instead of reclining in my bath and getting an overview, as I would once have done. Yes, I could print out the Adobe PDF manual, but ink is expensive and I don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment