Sunday, February 17, 2008

Comments

(There were some! There were none at all on Friday, except for one piece of junk, soon deleted. I was in the Slough of Despond.)

Southern Gal, Leigh’s Ravelry code-name is lwitchel. Easy, once you know. It’s nice to hear from a friend of his. He has been knitting some interesting things lately, and his prose hasn’t lost its edge. My heart leapt when I saw that he was knitting “wedding socks”, thinking of Mel and his Wedding Vest – but in Leigh’s case, they’re for friends.

And thanks to everybody for their help with the gansey sleeves. Here’s where I am at the moment, photographed indoors in the morning dim. Stitch definition almost disappears, but you can see how the sleeve has progressed.
That’s where things will rest for the week.

Julie, I had thought of making the sleeves authentically short, if necessary. Not a bad idea. And your idea, Tamar, of stopping right now and knitting the neck, so as to determine exactly how much yarn remains, is an excellent one.

I don’t seem to have kept a record of how much yarn I bought in the first place. Foolish. Once I cast it on, I deleted its entry from the Ravelry stash, where the answer was previously lodged. However, I searched my perennially-untidy inbox and found last summer’s receipt from handknitting.com: fifteen skeins. It seems impossible, but handknitting.com ought to know. In that case, I’ve got enough yarn to make the sleeves down to the ground. When I finish, I should know exactly how much yarn is in each sleeve, and will test your 2/3rds-1/3rd theory, Ron.

I don’t remember how I calculated how much I’d need, but I do remember that I tried to err on the side of generosity.

I finished a skein last night, and joined in the next one. I paused at that point to re-measure sleeve and gauge, and re-calculate the decreases. From here on, it would appear that one paired decrease every three rounds will suffice. I’ll try again after another few inches.

I have formed some thoughts about “Knitting America” and about the British magazine, “Knitting”, but I had better devote myself this morning to getting us on the road to Strathardle. I spoke to the Home Industries Secretary yesterday about arrangements for returning the Glenisla Shield, won by Sam the Ram, and the Mandy Duncan cup, won by my granddaughter Rachel for the best entry in the children’s classes, at the Games last summer. (Our names will now be engraved on these trophies.) She says that the new programme has been published. So when I get back, I’ll be able to tell you what I’ll be knitting for the Games this year.

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm, speaking of wedding socks, I'm going to need to either make some kilt hose or break down and buy some. David has decided that ghillie brogues aren't the look he wants (designers!), but unless I'm barefoot, I think kilt hose are a definite must. I just can't see wearing the kilt with short socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you do, Mel, please don't wear short socks. Even girls shouldn't do that. Scottish football fans these days favour climbing boots and heavy socks scrunched around the calf, which is a look. You want to think more Ewan McGregor and Sam Jackson, and less Sean Connery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:51 PM

    If I were knitting it, I'd still do the neck now, while there is less bulk to be shifting around. (If you had to find the receipt to know how much yarn you have, does that mean you don't actually have the yarn where you can look at it and be sure it still exists?) I like that pale blue shows off the stitches just as well as white.

    And just what is wrong with the Sean Connery look?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, I hardly know what you all are talking about but short socks: yeechh.
    Jean, we just can't have you going without comments.
    Please eventually post about Knitting in America -- want to know if it is worth a "buying" read or a "get from a library eventually" read. thanks!
    Maryjo (slogging in the evenings on the Earth wrap stole -- warm enough to soft boil eggs in, I think!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget your visit counter! I'm sure it registers very well each day. Your site is still my morning visiting place : ) Girded with cuppa and squirming baby on the floor, it's a lovely read and way to start my day.

    I know that maths and knitting is inseperable but it still makes me shudder. It's a little like needing to know maths for music - you'll never progress beyond 4/4 time without it. *sigh* I shall continue to gird my loins. The tendonitis is getting slightly better so it must be the knitting that's exacerbating it at the moment. Pooh. But I'm hopeful that I'll be able to have another go on the green sheep cardy tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:27 AM

    Maryjoo, don't confuse Knitting America with Knitting _In_ America, they are different books. I don't own either, but if I were to buy one, it would be Knitting America (which I think has a more scholarly approach) and borrow Knitting In America from the library. That's just my choice; both are worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just discussed with H.I. the possibility of sabbaticals overseas next year, Cardiff being one of the possibilities. By Australian standards, Cardiff and Edinburg are nearly next door neighbors. Fingers crossed, I'll be able to come over and visit one day and brighten your late winter glooms. If so, shall bring suitable offerings : )

    ReplyDelete