Sunday, April 20, 2008

Today I’ll try again to post a pic from Denver of Theo wearing the famous Obama-electing gansey. I’m afraid it’s too big – especially the sleeves. If it shows the slightest tendency to grow further, it’s going to have to be that kill-or-cure experiment with the dryer.

I began today with an email from granddaughter Kirsty in Beijing to say that this is her First Holy Communion day, and she’s wearing the veil I knit for her and her sister Rachel. I hope to have a picture of Kirsty in the veil soon.

Ted (comment yesterday), Catriona’s beautiful daughter is lying on the “My Weekly Baby Knits” shawl available – it says on my website – from Jamieson & Smith as a separate leaflet. I don’t know whether that fact has survived the recent upheaval at J&S, nor can I remember at the moment how I know that it’s an Amedro design. The leaflet doesn’t say so.

Mary Lou and Barca Viola, it was wonderful to see you in the ranks of Franklin’s knitters. Not just in the ranks, either -- officers. I feel I know you better now, just as I do Tamar since seeing that picture of her in the Harlot’s post.

And, Jenny, I want to know more about your acquaintance with K*rkmichael. That’s astonishing news. Will somebody crop up today with memories of Constantine, MI, where my grandmother lived?

Knitting

I reached the heel flap of Rachel’s first Yarn Yard sock, forgetting to switch to the solid colour for the heel.

Today is Scarf Sunday. The sock should be ready for a photo call after Monday’s session, insh’Allah.

8 comments:

  1. The sweater looks wonderful. Can we get Theo to wear it to the inauguration? It can be chilly in DC in January....

    Re. 'haugh', you had me wondering if it is related to ha-ha, those sunken trench/fences designed to keep the cattle out of the formal garden. I couldn't find a derivation, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Did you catch me in that group of Franklin's Knitters from Yarnover? I'm there, down at the bottom... I'm sure you remember what I look like!

    What a fun time I had that weekend in the Cities, seeing the Yarn Harlot and then attending Yarnover and seeing Franklin. I have to say that The Yarnery quite outdid themselves hosting and singing (if you haven't watched The Yarnery Family Singers you must do so
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DT_0qZIS6gQ
    they were hysterical). It's quite funny to realize that Mary Lou is the same person who stood on the stage and introduced the Harlot and was in the room with Franklin when I had my photo shot, small world and all that!

    The gansey looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:48 PM

    I think I originally got here when Franklin mentioned you in relation to knitting words (a small passion of mine). We knit for him this weekend in PA, and apparently just missed Obama on his whistle stop tour down the main line. Several of the people we saw at Wool Gathering looked familiar from the internet, but I was already so starstruck I didn't gush at them as I might have. I seem to have wandered into a bit of a cybernexus centered on Jean's Knitting blog . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:17 PM

    Thanks Jean !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:32 PM

    Small world and cybernexus effects, yes. There were several familiar blogger-faces at Woolgathering and no doubt many that I didn't remember.

    Catriona's daughter is very beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:54 AM

    The Obama electing sweater looks great from where I sit! It feels like a good omen for Tuesday's primary...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sweater looks great from here. What are the chances it would fit BHO?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Jean, I don't know if you'll see this comment as it's quite late, but it's late because I have just spent a month-long solitary retreat very close to Constantine, MI! I live in Ohio, but went to a place near Three Rivers, just north of Constantine, for the time away. Constantine, like so many MI towns, is suffering from job losses in the area, but trying to remake itself from within. There are still some beautiful houses there, and they are trying to keep the "downtown" area going.
    I thought I would knit a lot while there, but ended up doing little of that but for a pair of socks and some progress on two sweaters!

    ReplyDelete