Sunday, January 25, 2009

Haggis for lunch today. I have become more than reconciled to it, since we moved to Edinburgh.

The second sleeve shaping has commenced. I continue very pleased. I have decided I’m being too timid about the neck placket and collar – there’s probably enough grey, and grey will look best, so I’ll try.



I’m enjoying the end game, as always, for thinking about what comes next – although this time, there’s no question: it’s the Princess. I’m always surprised (I’ve said this before) when people say they’ve finished something and don’t know what to do next. I spend those last days in happy anticipation, mentally sorting through the HALFPINT list if necessary, looking out yarn, and am ready to cast on the moment the needles are free.

If Scotland win the Calcutta Cup this year, I'll knit it in to the top of the centre of the Princess, when I sign and date it. Not likely, because the match will be played in London and we never win down there. Although Thomas-the-Elder said that this could be the year, as the English team is in some disarray. I think he was just being polite (he's an Englishman).

There remains the possible interruption to knit something for the Games. The programme wasn't available yet, when we were there a fortnight ago.

Current affairs

Thank you, Deidra, for the details about Johnson’s swearing-in (yesterday’s comment). Once you mentioned Sarah Hughes’ name, it felt familiar, although I don’t remember the missal. Clearly, the nation was too shocked that week to worry about constitutional niceties.

I’m glad to hear that the president has been allowed a Blackberry after all. When Cardinal Ratzinger was elected as the present Pope, he wasn’t, at first, allowed to bring his cat along, although I don’t see how anyone except God can tell the Pope that he can't keep a cat in the Vatican. I think that problem was resolved successfully, too, and the Papal Cat is now in residence.

I think I heard on the radio this morning that Senator Mitchell was born in the same year I was. If he can create a two-state solution for Israel/Palestine, I ought to be able to grow a few vegetables.

5 comments:

  1. But does his cat think the holocaust was hooey? Re. the buying of seeds, I think you are right that many who don't normally garden may be out in force. I've had several friends tell me what they thought they would try to grow this summer to save money. I had to break the news to one that our short growing season wasn't going to allow her a steady supply of orange and yellow peppers all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:35 PM

    I thought that the Pope left his cat to live with a neighbor in Bavaria- At least that is what several newspapers reported. Apparently he is still beloved by the strays who live around the Vatican, who he used to feed when Cardinal. They say that the cats follow him everywhere.

    There is a children's book written on the Pope's cat-- its called "Joseph and Chico."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:40 PM

    If the grey does run out, you could edge the collar and placket with touches of the colors from the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:06 AM

    As far the Palestine/Israel conflict being resolved, George Mitchell is a lovely man but you are more likely to be able to grow vegetables in Antarctica.
    Pity tough it is to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:08 AM

    Oops should have read 'pity "though" it is to say it.'

    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete