Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Onwards.

I think I’ve got what I want for the jabot – at least, I’ve got something to be going on with. It’s the “traditional peaked shawl edging” on p. 76 of Heirloom Knitting. Sharon rates it at the second level of difficulty, but it is in fact dead easy. It’s a 10-row’er, too, so it’s possible to snatch a moment and sit down and knock out a pattern repeat.



I didn’t think when I embarked on this project that it would be a matter of knitting yards of edging, but here we are.

Needles: I was having some trouble with white-on-knitting-needle-grey yesterday, so switched to a Knit Picks needle in size 2 mm. The business ends are shiny metal – that works much better.

The yarn is Gossamer Merino, left over from the Princess. Dawn asks what yarn the Kinloch Anderson jabot was made of – cotton, I think. Something fairly stiffish. I don’t think Gossamer Merino will be itchy – and I can see that that could be a problem. The piper I consulted at the Drummond Place Garden Party in June said he had given up jabot-wearing because of itchiness. The merino may be too flabby – we’ll face that later on. I hate knitting with cotton.

Miscellaneous

Deneise wrote to point out that the Lorna’s Laces colourway “Amy’s Vintage Office” was devised by Amy Singer, not by the Curmudgeon as I had claimed. She’s absolutely right. Here’s a link to a good account of its evolution. I can’t imagine why I associated the Curmudgeon with it.

Jared is about to publish a book of patterns with Classic Elite. I don’t often buy books of patterns any more, but for this an exception must be made. The Classic Elite website suggests that international postage and packing will cost more than the book itself, so I’m going to have to wait until it is actually published and look around.

The Fall IK turned up yesterday, sooner than I dared hope. I think I’m coming to approve of Eunny as editor. I like Connie Chang Chinchio’s cardigan, and I think I might like the Every Way Wrap if I understood exactly what you’re meant to do with it.

Non-knit

No more wedding photographs yet. The young LeComptes -- Jenni is taking Theo's name -- should be back in Washington by now after their brief honeymoon, so I hope we won't have long to wait.

I spoke to Alexander yesterday, a first-rate photographer. But he said he let his son Thomas do most of the picture-taking in CT, and they’ve come home with a good range of shots of people’s shoes, and little else. He (Alexander) is happy to be reunited with his vegetables, and with Scottish weather. Plans are still fuzzy here about when I will see my own vegetables. They’re eating courgettes and digging potatoes up there, I know.

5 comments:

  1. I rather like the idea of wedding photos concenrating on shoes. A good time could be had identifying people that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it's just as well I didn't try potatoes this year, as my tomatoes have been hit by late blight. Unfortunately, I made the discovery as I was leaving for work Sunday, and I won't be home until today. Theoretically I should try to sleep first, but the Curmudgeon is up this way, and I'm hoping she'll be able to swing by for a little visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn in NL12:08 PM

    Jared is selling his patterns individually through Ravelry. I just bought my first download pattern yesterday! The Quincy hat.

    I like the look of the wrap as shown, and would consider knitting it if it was written as a cardigan rather than as a wrap.

    All the best,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jared's book of patterns makes me sad I don't live someplace where one can wear sweaters regularly anymore. I am going to buy it anyway and see if its possible to swing any of the patterns with a wool/cotton blends.

    I'll email you my new email address Jean. I have to say, I miss Oberlin. Maybe its because after living in such a small, charming town, the city seems so overwhelming, or its because Texas is so hot, or because I know nobody here, but I am homesick for Oberlin. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar3:12 PM

    Since, if I recall correctly, the jabot will be sewn to a backing, can't the backing and the neck strip be of something inoffensive like linen? Then the wool lace need not touch the neck. The only difficulty I can imagine would be the delicate folds of the wool lace, instead of the stiffly starched cotton or linen look. Can one starch wool? More to the point, I suppose, does one ever starch wool?

    ReplyDelete