Wednesday, September 09, 2009

9/9/9

I have enjoyed the nine days similarly numbered since the turn of the millennium, even more than I like the 1/2/3's and 3/4/5's. Today is the last one.

The plan had been to go to Strathardle today, to get the harvest in. If I’m lucky, the tepee will be heavy with not-yet-entirely wooden-tasting beans. There are certainly potatoes and (small) carrots and beets, although the mice will have nibbled the beets where they mound up above the soil. Mara des Bois strawberries and autumn-bearing raspberries were poised on the edge a fortnight ago, but the birds have probably had them. Kale should be in good form, but we’ll save that for winter. I’ll net it this time, which should at least annoy the deer.

However, I’ve got a sore throat, and it got worse rather than better overnight. I think it might be wiser to wait a day and see how the cookie crumbles. Strathardle is no place to be ill – can’t phone for a takeaway, to begin with.

I’m not generally nervous about pandemics – we had a grand time in Beijing when SARS was at its worst. But swine flu scares me, probably because of its connection (H1N1) with the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. Sore throat is on the symptom list, but well down towards the end. I’m not feverish, and not coughing.

I am so used to taking care of my husband, and worrying about his sister – she has had repeated chest infections since May of last year, is constantly weak and breathless and cross at the NHS for being unable to find the underlying cause and cure her – so used to that, that I sometimes forget I’m pretty old myself.

So, knitting. About which there is little to report. I am within nine rows, I think it is, of finishing the first half of the Griswold stole. Yesterday I resisted the temptation to cast on the February Lady Sweater. I might not be so strong-minded today, if I feel I need coddling.

More non-knit

I finally despaired of ever seeing Jenni’s and Theo’s wedding pictures on their wedding website, and have learned that they are available on Facebook, if one can enrol among their friends. I am agitating for a more public display.

11 comments:

  1. Actually there is not yet a major posting of wedding pictures--probably since both participants are very busy. Here is a very long link that will take you to a small selection of the best:
    http://robertnormanphotography.blogspot.com/2009/08/jenni-theo-at-connecticut-river-museum.html

    Perhaps easier to go to robertnormanphotography.blogspot.com and then back to the entry for August 7th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you won't be looking forward to 10/10/10, 11/11/11 and 12/12/12?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the sore throat- I have been dealing with a hoarse throat the last week and a half now that I am teaching five days a week. The lectures are killing my voice. Hopefully you just have a rogue sore throat and goes away soon. Also make sure to get good picture of your harvest! I always enjoy seeing the greenery of your garden. (Aphids attacked my outside herbs and now they are seriously stressed, and I will probably just have to get rid of them all. Damned bugs.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn in NL3:02 PM

    Thanks to Helen for the link. Lovely photos!

    Jean, so sorry you aren't feeling too good. Take care of yourself.

    All the best,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are three more you know ... 10/10/10, 11/11/11, and 12/12/12. There is always more to look forward to ... I certainly look forward to seeing your shawl. LOL. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerri3:19 PM

    Coddle away, I say! Take care of yourself. Hope you feel better soon,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually they say if you were born after 1957 that you shouldn't worry too much about swine flu because you should have immunity against it (or that if you do get it it won't hit you like a Mack truck). It's the young ones (like me haha!) who will be more at risk. In the meantime, snuggle up and snooze that crud away.

    Thanks, Helen, for posting the link!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:59 PM

    FiberQat, didn't you mean to write that those born BEFORE 1957 are likely to be immune to swine flu? That would seem to make more sense. Wondering,
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  9. MaureenTakoma5:19 PM

    If you were born before 1958 you will probably have developed some antibodies to H1N1. That's why this strain has been particularly affecting healthy young people rather than the older folks. That being said, coddle away Jean, drink plenty of clear liquids, and knit whatever strikes your fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. catching up as usual -- take care of yourself!

    I always learn something reading your posts -- congrats on KnitCamp, by the way -- should be so much fun.

    And I'm glad to hear that Franklin is still alive and well: his blog hasn't been updated since July, so I miss him terribly.
    Nice colors though on the Feb lady sweater yarn: remind us -- Araucania?

    ReplyDelete
  11. =Tamar6:47 PM

    I swear by vitamin C, myself. I am sorry to hear that the sister has something that seems resistant to the current treatment; can she insist on a change to a different antibiotic? Meanwhile, coddle and knit as you will.

    ReplyDelete