Friday, July 23, 2010

Helen’s here. And James is back in Beijing. A new chapter opens. We’ll all go to Strathardle today, where her husband and sons will join us today or tomorrow. I’ve got the Linda Dick organic chicken which will be the centrepiece of the meal ending in summer pudding, if the gods smile on us. Who knows? – maybe the garden will provide potatoes and a vegetable.

We’ll be back in the middle of next week, if all goes according to plan. I’ll tell you all about my onions.

Franklin

Anita has left a new comment (on Wednesday’s post) about Ysolda’s decision to pull out of KnitCamp, and I’ve had a message from Maureen – who has spoken to Franklin – which confirms her (Anita’s) guess, namely that there was a contractual problem. It must have been sad for him, given, as you say, Mel, what an Anglophile he is. That’s what I started out as, and then I met Scotland. We might have done the same for him, had things turned out differently.

Clearly, Franklin is not at all to blame. Nor is Dolores, even.

I’m now a member of the Knit Camp 2010 Social Group group on Ravelry (Tricia’s comment yesterday). The effect is reassuring. Did the Camp organisers but know it, the sense of being able to speak freely is much to be preferred to a forum devoted to midges and cheerfulness in which one knows that dissenting voices are being silenced.

So at the moment I am sadly hopeful, so to speak, of an interesting day with Donna Druchunas on the subject of Japanese knitting.

Knitting

I finished those socks. What a relief. And knit a few more rows of the Green Granite Blocks. Now Helen and I must find some time in a busy morning to look at lace yarns and patterns.

I am tempted to start a pair of KF socks in Perthshire instead of forging ahead as I ought with that eternal sweater.

5 comments:

  1. Start the socks? Why not? You can concentrate your mind on the onions. I am curious about these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - It's funny you should say you started out an Anglophile and then met Scotland. I'm in Chicago (a few miles south of Franklin!), and I'm a little bit of an Anglophile myself, but I'm currently hoping to get to go to grad school in Scotland. I've only been there once, but ... maybe there is something in the water that draws knitters in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe journey - I am looking forward to an onion update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen in Fargo6:09 AM

    I'm hearing more disturbing things about more people having problems so I do hope that everything works out for Knit Camp. As I've said before, Donna's Japanese Knitting workshop is excellent and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Jean---Could you help me remember the name of the book one of your family members(Mother?) wrote on Emily Dickinson? I have gone back through older posts, but cannot find the date where you had a bit of a up-on-your-soapbox moment about the new Lyndall Gordon biography. I am just starting this latter book and would love to have a second view. Went from your post about lace shawls to check the Emily Dickinson Shawl by Kieran Foley. So lovely. Have ordered the Shetland Supreme from the only USA source. Looking forward to it. ---Skeindalous

    ReplyDelete