Friday, March 18, 2011

Brief touching of base –

Greek Helen is here. We went in to see C. early this morning. She is now past speech, but awake and, we are sure, aware of the people around her. Helen read T.S. Eliot’s “Ash Wednesday” to her. Somewhere in the family archives is a photograph of C. as a small child on Eliot’s shoulders. Long story.

It looks like being six to supper here this evening -- our niece, our other niece, Little C., Helen, plus the incumbents. So I must spend the rest of the day fussing about.

The red shawl is just the thing. The yarn is delicious on the fingers, the pattern just difficult enough. I’ve written to Loop about Madeleine Tosh sock yarn – they promise to phone when they get their next order, in a couple of weeks. At the moment, they don't have enough for a jacket of any of the colourways that stir me, including "lichen".

8 comments:

  1. Gerri in St Paul1:53 PM

    A lovely time to read poetry and a good time to have more family around. My thoughts are with you and yours.

    I'm glad you went with the red; a color of strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes that sort of fussing about is helpful to keep thoughts at bay for the moment. Glad to hear all made it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the sun is gloriously shining on us all today.. with all good wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fussing about is good therapy. With you in spirit.

    Can I use a little of your space to send thanks to Tamar for the link. That was exactly what I was looking for, except that I wanted a baby size. I could have worked it out for myself, but I have just this moment found found the book it was in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to know just the poem for the occasion! Comforting for the visitor and for the visited, in the familiar voice and rhythmic flow of words. My recent experience of visiting relatives in extremis has often left nothing to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you Jean and hoping for all of you, C. most of all, that she has a peaceful and quiet passing. I am glad you will have family with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I include your family in my prayers, and I always check here for news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Ash Wednesday" is, for me, one of the great poems of the 20thC. What a wonderful thing to read to someone like C.

    ReplyDelete