Thursday, April 12, 2012


I liked Mr ChemDry – he seemed to know his subject, and was tall and good looking into the bargain. Next, he said, someone will come and strip the paper off the ceiling, so that the plaster can dry. And an electrician will take down the central rose and see how things are in there. We haven’t dared turn it on, except briefly by mistake on the evening of the disaster. It sizzled in a most unsettling way.

He confirmed Alexander’s gloom about the possibility of a subsequent fall. And seemed to be saying that, although there are various indicators as to whether the plaster is safe, in the end it comes down to expert opinion, and experts will differ.

Knitting, Miscellaneous

I did better with skein-winding last night. The Shibui skeins are labelled 25 gram and in fact weigh in at 26. Last night I achieved 8-9-9 with my three balls. One more to do.

I am most gratified (comments yesterday) to learn that others have had trouble understanding the Gibson-Roberts heel. If we take it slowly, maybe we can work it out. I am determined to try.

Look what Fleegle’s done. I am as profoundly anti-bead (actually, I’ve never tried) as I am anti-bobble. I could never do that. But I am breathless with admiration. And one can easily imagine that the weight of the beads makes it drape wonderfully, as she says.

Here’s an impossible assignment for you. When we last had a downpour from upstairs – minor, compared to this one – it was during the brief lifetime of their son Alexander, as I said here recently. I resolved to knit something for their next child, if there was one. In the event, I didn’t even know one was expected. (Her name is Iona.)

Now, the question is, what was I going to knit? It involved several colours, came as a kit I think, was distinctly expensive. A jacket, I think. Does the word “Angel” come into it? Kauni? I mentioned it here, but can’t think how to begin looking. Find the date of that flood, and work outwards from there, perhaps. I took photographs, and they will be dated – but where are they? I can’t even remember what season of the year it was.

A BSJ in Kauni Effekt would do the trick – but it’s not what I said back then.

Non-knit

Sarah, I found your father in the ’51 and ’52 Oberlin yearbooks. I don’t remember him, but we must often have cycled past each other. It is always slightly unsettling to look at those pages. There are the ‘50’s, preserved in amber, still fresh. Not recreated by people who weren't there, as in Mad Men, but actually happening.

8 comments:

  1. JennyS9:15 AM

    Tulips baby cardigan? From Dream in Color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it will have been tulip- Yarn Harlot was all fired up about thenabouts.
    I would have nthought nthat nthe Kauni would be a bit scratchy for a new babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to your blog entry from 27 November 2009, it was indeed the Tulip jacket you intended to knit for the upstairs neighbours. It's a lovely knit with an impressive result - I made three in total, all very well received. I hope their baby is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see several others have beat me to it. I agree, Tulip is the answer.

    Mr. ChemDry's comments on your ceiling don't sound very helpful. For peace of mind it almost seems like the best thing to do would be to replace it. Possibly with a waterproof barrier between the people upstairs and you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gerri2:43 PM

    Well, it was fun a fun test but the immediate response portion of my brain is only firing 25%. I was thinking of the Tulip but all I got was the picture of it and "Dream..." dreamweaver? NO, now I know it is Dream in Color. I knit one in a heathery tone, no stripes to save on cost, and it was a pleasant knit and very appreciated gift. May you have an equal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another one to agree that it's the Tulip jacket. See? Not so impossible. :)

    Fleegle's wrap is stunning. Thank you for sharing. She must have picked up the same gene as Sivia Harding when it comes to beaded knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah JS4:56 PM

    How fun that your's and Dad's Oberlin times did overlap! And cycle he did, all about campus. Cycling, indeed, became one of his major stress relievers throughout his career.

    As for the Priscilla G-R heel, I'd be happy to you or other readers through it. It was my short-row heel of choice until I discovered the "Sherman Heel." I moved on to the Sherman Heel since a) it has no wraps to muck about with, b) both sides of my Sherman Heel (inside & out) look nice, and c) I find it easier to remember. I always had one side of my P G-R heel that looked a tad wonky on the inside. The P G-R heel is best described with visual steps; one of my knitting-guru friends did a small practice heel to show me the general steps when I first was learning that heel.

    A ha! Found a YouTube video series that appears to walk thru the P G-R heel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttSoJoa4nU&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL7B92997F3335CEBB
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cynthia6:46 PM

    I was pleased to see your mention of Fleegle's Nouveau Beaded Capelet. I have been running a KAL for the pattern on Ravelry since mid-February, and we have had some lovely finished shawls, as well as lots of WIPs.

    http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/heere-be-earthfaire/2017315/1-25

    I did mine in Xie, and the combination of bamboo and 6,000 beads did make it drape beautifully.

    I've also had problems with ceiling leaks from repairs to our building's roof, but there is no property insurance or personal responsibility in Egypt for damage, so we'll have to have it fixed ourselves. Since the rainy season is over, it might wait until next fall!

    ReplyDelete