Sunday, May 20, 2012


Sunshine. A welcome change. Still cold, cold.

The sock progresses nicely. I should get somewhere near the heel soon. I have no idea yet how many rounds I need for the foot, but I’m keeping careful count. Isn't it nice the way the yarn seemed to know I was going toe-up this time? What will it do for the other sock? Remember, Zauberballs don't repeat.


Here are Lizzie's finished Hundertwasser socks:


Kristie, I can’t really help on what to listen to on Radio 4. So much sounds interesting. I love it for news – that’s no use to you. I love waking up with the Today programme, drifting in and out of sleep with the radio telling me every three or four minutes what the time is, so I know without having to look at my watch or think about it. When I get a chance for a daytime nap, I turn it on and it’s always something good (except when it’s cricket) and always puts me to sleep.

I need to know it’s there, calm and varied. American radio is so excitable.

Pop Knitting

I can’t remember now whether it was Amazon or Interweave who sent me the email that persuaded me to buy “Pop Knitting” by Britt-Marie Christofferson, translated from Swedish. I’ve also got her “Swedish Sweaters”. I’ve never knit from that one, but it’s got some very good things.

It might be mildly interesting, if one had nothing else to do for a week, to categorize the knitting library. Books I Have Knit From would be easy, and so would Books I Have No Intention of Ever Knitting From. Reference Books – Bishop Rutt and Barbara Walker and whatever. The rest would be harder – Books I Would Really Like to Knit From could be one category (“Swedish Sweaters” would be in that class); Designer Books – Starmore, Debbie Bliss, whatever – could be another, pretty well entirely un-knit-from except for Kaffe.

Anyway, “Pop Knitting” is good, full of extremely clever three-dimensional techniques of all sorts – intarsia and appliqué and holes and slipped stitches, to name a few. There is also a section at the back with basic instructions for drawing up a schematic for cardigan or sweater. She recommends making a full-size paper model. She says you can often re-use gift wrap for this purpose. Many of the clever fabric ideas in the book are shown as garments.

It makes me feel old -- I can't pin down quite why. I love Debbie New's "Unexpected Knitting" and often browse there without feeling unusually antique. Pop Knitting is so innovative that I know I'll never get around to it.

But my guess is that the Schoolhouse will stock it soon.

3 comments:

  1. Radio 4. I would be lost without it.

    Kristie, you could try Woman's Hour (Topical 'magazine'), Desert Island Discs (Interviews/Music), Just a Minute (Comedy), The Food Programme, anything with Melvyn Bragg ... I could go on and on here. Just dip in and try something, there's rarely a wrong note :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get radio 4 here in the us, but I do love trying different podcasts. There are quite a few to appeal to the history geek side of me, I was driving to the barn listening to a discussion of the revolutions of 1848 just the other day...

    I browsed through that Pop book last week at the shop. I do think I'll buy it, if only to enjoy the creativity of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, Radio 4! It never ceases to amaze me how they assume their audience will be able to enjoy a range of ideas, whereas television is often pitched at a very low level. That series on objects from Shakespeare's time, for example. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete