Monday, June 25, 2012

Sunshine! Wimbledon!


In the 20th century, I used to set up the ironing board in front of the television.  I’d look at the screen whenever there were 30 points against the server; otherwise iron. Piles of accumulated ironing melted away as if by magic, as if Rumplestiltskin had come to stay.

But my husband doesn’t care for tennis, and anyway needs to get some exercise in the afternoon, and won’t go out without me, so it doesn’t work like that any more.

Another thing we don’t do any more is live in Birmingham, where we often used to take a morning train to Stratford and have lunch in a pub and catch a matinee. Last night BBC4 showed the Royal Shakespeare Company’s “Julius Caesar”. I didn’t get to see all of it, not even very much, what with football and my husband wanting to watch a western.

I may have to buy the DVD. For, gosh! it was good. What a wonderful language we speak, and what a pleasure to hear it spoken intelligently by good actors!

I'm glad you liked the football, tandemsandy (link yesterday). You make me very envious, about Woolfest.

Knitting

I’ve started the ribbing on Alexander’s first sock. I do lots of ribbing, 50 rounds, so it’ll take a couple of evenings.

I’m inclined to think I’ll stick with the Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off. I feel no need for further experiment on that front. But on the other hand, I like the sound of the Tubular Bind-0ff in Wendy Johnson’s book. It involves a k1, p1 rib (which I normally don’t do), then the stitches are separated onto two needles, knits to the front, purls to the back, and grafted together. I might have a go at that one day.

Knitting08816 , all I meant about the Sweet Tomato Heel's being in a class by itself was that – so far – it didn’t seem to resemble any other heel. Although maybe stacked wedges could be considered a special case of the Strong-Fleegle heel?

When I was young I think I vaguely believed that the genera and species of plants had been assigned by Linnaeus and had stayed put ever since. But, no – it is not uncommon for a plant to shift about. Is the deodar a pine or a cedar?

I am not as ambitious as that, when it comes to classifying heels, but I find myself  wanting to group them into categories. As I’ve said, I mean to go back to the Sweet Tomato for my next effort. I will contemplate it anew.

I tried to read Candace’ book yesterday to compare her revolutionary sock with the short-row toe in Wendy’s book, but I got bogged down. I’ll have to experience it. 

6 comments:

  1. Thinking of Shakespeare, have you seen the video about original pronunciation from the Open University?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

    I'd love to see a performance done in OP instead of our updated dialect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean,
    Since you are "collecting" heels, I am pointing you towards Knitting Daily:
    http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/traditions_today/archive/2012/06/19/clever-lithuanian-heels.aspx?a=kr120623

    Unfortunately, they dont show them being done, but perhaps you will recognise them from your previous experience.

    I hope you manage to catch some Wimbledon. I try to watch when Andy is playing but otherwise I am more a fan of the Tour de France.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:23 PM

    deodar is a cedar, Cedrus deodara, the species name was indeed not given by Linnaeus.
    and indeed, taxonomy is alive and kicking - it gives great pleasure to figure things out and classify them, and to come up with names for new species.

    have a good summer!

    else

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara M. In nh8:20 PM

    My children, growing up in northern NJ, did a lot of theatre which of course included Shakespeare.... My oldes said his best theatre was Romeo and Juliet. they did the production as Shakespeare wrote it, but at a middle school production, the directory sensed tha the 11-13 year old audience had lost the gist. she stopped the production and told the cast: "Think about your lines. what do they mean? Translate them so the audience can follow!"


    that kid, now 38' says that was his most meaningful lesson in English..... That Shakespeare still made sense, that his words were still beautiful, even when translated by a collow stripling into 20th century slang. That they were still strong, and powerful, and moving.

    He works with computer security now, but Shakespeare is part of his repertoire, and part of his life.

    Barbara M. In NH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara M. In nh9:52 PM

    Sorry...I left an apology for all the typos on a previous post, not on this one. I can only blame it on iPad's lack of a proper keyboard, auto-correcting things 8 DID NOT want corrected, and driving. 850 miles in the last 2 days.

    Barbara M. Usually in NH, now in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was I with the Tree Key, (H L Edlin, 1978), looking up Deodar, and I have been beaten to it! Yes it is on the True Cedars page. It is also thriving in our back garden and I love its foliage.

    ReplyDelete