Friday, November 23, 2012


Odds and ends

Christmas: I got the cards out. Can’t find the package of the ones we received last year – a nuisance. I did some virtual shopping – at IWOOT, an old friend; Liberty, useless; and Divertimenti, some possibilities there. Shandy, I didn’t know about Persephone Books, and will investigate today. Thanks for the tip. I think today I’ll start actually ordering things.

Kate Davies, my near neighbour, has a new book coming out next week, at first available only from her website. It looks good.

While in London last weekend, I showed Ed the madelinetosh yarn for his forthcoming Gardening Sweater and measured a well-fitting garment of his of just the right sort. He doesn’t mind a highish neck, so I’ll go for EZ’s Seamless Hybrid (KWT).

I used to keep notes in my electronic Filofax (Lotus Organizer) of what patterns were in what issues of what magazines – patterns I might want to go back to. By means of those pages, I found that Meg’s four articles updating EZ’s Percentage System were in the four issues of Knitter’s for 2000. And I found the issues just where they should be, in the pile. So that’s that sorted.

I was surprised to see how enthusiastic I was about Knitter’s, issue after issue, in the late 90’s. I’ve been unsubscribed for a couple of years now and don’t miss it a bit.

There is an interesting article in the new IK (by the editor herself) about “infinite cables” or knotwork – the sort of thing Starmore does in “The Celtic Collection” although Starmore doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the article. The article shows how to design your own closed-loop motifs, and it looks fun.

I’m getting on fine with the Reversible Cables. I’m aiming for seven feet. I can’t remember why I chose that target. Mary Lou just says, sensibly, to knit until it’s long enough. I joined in the third skein (of four) last night. That felt like progress.

Franklin and his partner are currently on the high seas, returning to the US on the Queen Mary as they have done three times before. The dates were chosen to enable them to avoid Thanksgiving.

Another point at which I discovered that our tastes coincide, is his dislike of bobbles. That was mentioned when he showed us some nupps while discussing Haapsalu in the class about lace traditions. Although slightly raised, nupps are much less bobble-like than I thought. Maybe I’ll have a go. Shandy says it is not entirely easy to make sure you have hold of all the nupp stitches on the return row. And I can believe it.

Archie has just emailed to say that school may close early for Christmas because of an outbreak of the norovirus. It’s a nasty one. I was stricken at the New Year, two years ago, and would prefer not be there again.

6 comments:

  1. if you have trouble on the back rows when knitting nupps, just use a crochet hook to pull the yarn through. it means slightly slower knitting, but at least you don't have to fix skipped stitches once your knitting is done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:18 PM

    Unfortunately knitting magazines are becoming a thing of the past, one example is that Barnes & Noble in Des Moines Iowa no longer sells **any**, as of a couple of months ago. On-line access like Knitty, Patternfish, Ravelry and blogs provide new designers access to a much wider and more immediate selling market.

    Also two years ago, when you and I let our Knitters' subscriptions lapse, knit designs became uninteresting to many 'main stream' knitters because the garments featured weren't truly wearable and more a fashion (or un-fashion) statement.

    I'm knitting a pair of baby pants (free pattern from Ravelry), a sock (plain vanilla type)and ready to start a Christmas wreath (from an independent designer paid via the web). Not many paper magazines interesting me at this time, very sad to say.

    Congratulations on your energy and productivity!

    Knitter007ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. skeindalous1:17 PM

    Many of the most interesting patterns are now on line exclusively, but I still like 'paper in the hand'. When I buy a pattern electronically, I most often print it out and file it, perhaps as proof it is indeed mine! Certainy while working the piece. Could not imagine working from a phone or tablet.
    Have gradually pulled back from renewing magazine subscriptions. Down now to Woolgathering and Interweave Knits. And Rowan, more as eye candy than project source!
    But I feel it is like the demise of the printed newspaper, if we stop buying them because they are less than satisfying, then everything will go electronic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:22 PM

    Strange you mention Kate Davies. I am knitting mother/daughter owls sweaters for the Holiday. Thinking about Boreal in January.

    I am happy you got on with the charming Mr. Habit, He's a delight, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nupps aren't daunting as long as you remember to be loose. The looser they are in the setup, the easier they are to knit in the end.

    I'm waiting for an app to come out that can take a chart and highlight the row you are working online. Otherwise I'm sticking to paper and highlight tape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True fact, which as an Oberlin graduate you'll appreciate: Noroviruses get their handle from a town in northeastern Ohio. Here's a quote from the Centers for Disease Control, www.cdc.gov : "Noroviruses are named after the original strain, "Norwalk virus," which caused an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis among children at an elementary school in Norwalk, Ohio, in 1968." Two years ago is also when I learned first-hand how nasty they are. Stay well now! (-:

    ReplyDelete