Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Comments

Jean from Cornwall, I accidentally discovered how to achieve the coveted “This comment has been removed…” notice. The secret is, don’t tick the box that says “Remove forever?” Just click on “Remove comment”. I like it better this way, to let you all know how I suffer.

I think Blogger’s own software catches about half of the junk posted to current posts. (And if their algorithm included suspicion of any anonymous comment which ends in an URL, they’d do even better.) (Or do you pronounce it, “a U.R.L.?”) And every day there are at least two dozen more, attaching to old posts, automatically moderated, individually deleted.

And, Kristie, gosh! thanks. Sure enough, there I am in Zite, along with Helen’s Greek chilli plants. But it was so much better, hearing it from you first.

Dawn, I was grateful for the link to Craftivore, which I enjoyed very much. Beautiful knitting – and what a beautiful woman! But I didn’t see anything about knitting alphabets. What have I missed?

And, Marian, thank you for the link to Stray Cat socks. Although I could wish she included a couple of pics of how the yarn knits up.

If you follow the link provided with Marian’s name in the paragraph above, you’ll see a wonderful Stephen West shawl. Talk about karma…

Non-knit

Grandson Alistair turned 17 on Monday. That’s his mother looking distressed because her baby has grown up.



Rachel is our eldest child, and all four of her children are older than 17. They are all present in the photograph at the head of the blog. Alistair is the eldest surviving grandchild of what might be called the second tranche. Archie is next. The youngest two, James and Thomas of Cairndow, are also in the picture above. I want a shirt like Alistair's.

Knitting

I’ve watched all of Stephen West’s Craftsy class by now except for the final lesson on blocking. His youthful diffidence is very engaging. I’ve laid out some yarn to take to Strathardle tomorrow – tomorrow! – with the thought of improvising a West of my own. I’d better take the socks to knit as well, just in case.

With any luck, the book (see yesterday) from Loop will turn up today, and I’ve already got SW's Daybreak pattern. I won’t need to improvise if I don’t want to, but I am inspired.


The latter half of his Craftsy course fizzes with ideas, but is short on detail. For instance, he uses slipped stitches in a striped shawl to divide a stripe into boxes, by carrying up stitches from the stripe below. I think I could just about do that. But in one example, the vertical stripe of the slipped stitch shifts backwards and forwards like the stem of a vine. Because of M1’s, pushing it this way and that? Because the stitches are actually lifted over other stitches? I could post a question to Craftsy. I might do that.

13 comments:

  1. Good morning Jean,
    I enjoy your blog so very much, thank you.
    The ticker tape scarf pattern is available through Ravelry ( I did a simple pattern search for "ticker tape scarf").
    Have a wonderful day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jean
    Sorry, I meant to direct you to Craftivore's May 29th post where she shows the ticker tape scarf and mentions charting all the alphabet. I am glad you enjoyed the blog, the only thing is that she doesnt seem to post very often. You spoil your readers, Jean.
    All the best
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that Stray Cat yarn is lovely!! If you click on some of the colors (like Mulled Wine) it shows some of the colorways knitted up. And also, if you search Ravelry for "Stray Cat" you can find projects knitted with the yarn as well. I might need to go order some of this myself ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:33 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:00 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. skeindalous3:33 PM

    If you would like a fascinating blog about letters, type, and knitting, try 'Knitting Letters: A to Z'. http://unionpurl.blogspot.com/
    She seems to have gone quiet for a while, but the older posts are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne C4:17 PM

    Hi Jean--Do post your question to Craftsy, the instructors in the classes I've been taking are quite responsive, and other students can help, too. (I'm working my way through how to write patterns and how to design shawls, but they've been languishing for a while).

    Anne, who's been following your posts since the KnitList days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:35 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:28 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:39 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. day so crazy , JUST NOW at 6 pm reading your blog. sigh. not much knitting this week with computers and hard drives acting up and work a crazybusiness. missed reading you this morning... although you were there, i was not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:42 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. =Tamar7:17 PM

    Removing the spam is a chore, but it is one that is greatly appreciated by this reader.

    ReplyDelete