Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I finished the tax, and prepared a crib sheet to have handy when I'm actually filing it. That remains to be done. Maybe tomorrow. I feel much better already.

If I had written about Paris yesterday, as I meant to, I would have said that none of those millions of people would dare print a cartoon of the Prophet – so, in a sense, the terrorists had won. But I learn from the radio this morning that I would have been wrong. I agree that it was pretty feeble of Biden not to turn out on Sunday. Of course security would have been a problem. That was the whole point. And America, as the country that suffered the worst terrorist attack of all, needed to be there.

Thank you for the encouraging words about Athens. Jeanfromcornwall, I will certainly provide myself with the modern equivalent of the E111 card. We've taken out the insurance that EasyJet was offering with the tickets. It was cheap, and seemed to provide what was needed – essentially, insurance against the consequences of having a stroke – and didn't seem to have a clause excluding people of 81.

Soon I will write you an essay about the Kouros of Sounon.


But for now I'll have to stop. Knitting went forward peacefully yesterday. It's bitter cold this morning – but the snowdrops are blooming in Drummond Place Gardens.

4 comments:

  1. This is where you can apply for your EHIC card beware sites that charge you it is free to apply. Oh and do check the small print on your travel insurance age is often an exclusion and these policies are often miss sold . Enjoy your trip! http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:11 AM

    So pleased to here about your trip to Athens. Yes, you may feel panic, but what a wonderful thing to panic about! Your family will take great care of your husband so that you can relax and enjoy your break. Maybe a lightweight cardigan needs to be knitted?! Liz Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:20 PM

    As a classicist married to an archaeologist (both focusing on Greek antiquity) I have been to Athens many times. Cape Sounion used to be one of my most favorite places on this earth. It has been developed beyond recognition. The last time I saw it (2 years ago), I cried. So be warned should you want to make the trip there. - Enjoy your time in Athens, enjoy the new Acropolis Museum, and of course Delphi is (still, always) a delight. - cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:21 AM

    Easter is so special in Greece - so glad you're going. Will you be there for both western and Orthodox Easters?
    - Beth in Ontario

    ReplyDelete