Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Snow, this morning. Not much, but more than Edinburgh has had all winter. It could mean that my husband won't venture out for a walk which would add a valuable hour to my morning. Not that I ever get much done .

But I got further forward with Archie's sweater yesterday than I thought I would – the front hem finished, the skein wound, the back flap (which is 1/2” longer than the front one) half done – I've just attached the red for the inner side. So, not much more knitting to do here. The front flap is tending to flip outwards, which would be a fault even if it weren't bright red on the inside. Blocking will have to be severe on that point.

That was terribly clever of you, Mary Lou, to remember the pattern involved. It hadn't occurred to me to try Ravelry since the pattern has only a generic name, Henley. And searching Ravelry for “Henley” was indeed next best to fruitless. But I found it easily, searching on the designer's name (Bruce Weinstein, in”Knits Men Want”). Lots and lots of people have knit it, and I am happy to report that it looks pretty good on men of all shapes.

I'm not sure the pictures help much with my problem – where, exactly, to start picking up stitches for the neck edging. But I think I have decided to go with my final thought, fortified by your comment, Jean. At least for my first attempt I will start the edging in the middle of the placket-strip.

Today is the big day when the madelinetosh Whisky Barrel for the Sous Sous pattern should arrive, and also, perhaps, the Jupiter Moon or whatever the stuff is called, from Loop, for the next attempt at a wedding pocket square. The first moderately successful attempt, using Rowan Cotton Glace, got to London safely but the bridegroom hasn't squared up to it yet.

Nothing of interest in Zite. I'v been flipping through Brooklyn Tweed's winter Look Book. On a day like this, as we huddle against the cold, I am much taken with the pattern called Rowe, another unfastened cardigan – they seem to follow me around – deeply cabled, very suitable for snuggling in. Brilliant photography throughout,  as we have come to expect.

Non-knit


Thanks for the help with my husband's putative trip to London. I forwarded your comment to the care team, Helen.

I must re-engage with my camera. All these pages if prose look more than a bit boring.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Regarding your neck stitches question, it appears the designer is on Ravelry, and he sounds friendly and helpful. Maybe ask him?

    www.ravelry.com/designers/bruce-weinstein

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these pages of prose may look boring to the writer, but do remember that the readers are treated to that lovely photo of sheep, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come to read what you have written, Jean, not to look at pictures, so please don't worry about not posting any. However, if you do want to put a picture on your blog it should be easy now that you have both the Macbook computer and the new iPad. Go into settings on your iPad, then into Photos and Camera and turn on the button where it says Photo Stream. Then on your computer go into System Preferences. It is the silver square with the circle divided into three parts inside it down in your dock. When that opens click on the iCloud button and be sure there is a check mark in Photos. This is also the place where you can enable the "Find My Mac" feature.

    Now that that is done when you take pictures on your new iPad (and the newer ones take quite nice photos), it will automatically send the pictures to iPhoto on your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:16 PM

    Jean, there is a discussion on this sweater on Ravelry with input from Bruce Weinstein himself. On this page:
    http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/bruce-weinsteins-books-and-designs/1394011/101-125

    there is a picture of the brown sweater Bruce knitted for himself. It shows that the neck trim is picked up and knitted along the full width of the placket bands.

    I hope that helps.

    Judith in Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Across the whole width of the placket makes sense for a narrow edging - I think that the half width of the placket was designed to prevent the front edges of a collar from overlapping, which would also be right for a wider width of edge. This is just a finishing edge, rather than something like the collar or collar band on a sewn shirt.

    ReplyDelete