Saturday, May 30, 2015

Medical

Little to report. I hope that silence from Little C. means that yesterday represented a bit of progress. I'll find out today. My husband was a bit more subdued yesterday, in bed instead of drooping in his chair when I got there. The visit therefore was somewhat less stressful – but how is he?

I had tried to arrange an appt with his consultant, but neither he nor his secretary could be reached yesterday morning. (If he spent the afternoon on the golf course, he will have got hailed on.) I spoke to a dr, roughly Lizzie's age, scantily dressed, and learned little.

At one point yesterday we thought he had actually been referred to the new Royal Victoria (link yesterday). Not so, I learned, but they are talking about it. He is under the care of the Elderly Medicine Unit. That's good news. He seems so much weaker than he was a month ago when all this started. Why? They were about to whisk him off yesterday when I left, for a scan of his head. Why?

Knitting

Beth, I would have thought a bit of bagginess a useful quality in a cricket sweater (comments yesterday). The new one is suspiciously form-fitting. I was glad to be reminded, jeanfromcornwall, of the tradition of including a colour stripe in the ribbing. I think the only one I ever knit was for Thomas-the-Elder (last year's bridegroom) when he was perhaps nine. It was distinctly baggy, and certainly included colour stripes. I wonder if I could find a photograph.

The Fatoosh sped ahead last night – I managed to stay out of bed until nearly nine, a record for the current ordeal. I may be able to finish off the ten-lozenge row today. Then it's back to real life and multiple responsibilities. The secret of that row in which the twisted-rib pattern for the top of the lozenge is established, is to pay attention to the chart. Now I know.

I have been having trouble with Craftsy on my iPad, for reasons undiagnosed, so I didn't get to watch any more of Eunny on lace in the small hours of last night. I've signed up for a new sock class from Lara Neel which promises perfect fit. I have been putting my husband's shoes and socks on for him for the last few months, and have gained a new appreciation of my own knitting. And I have madelinetosh's new sock yarn in my sights, in the wonderful Whiskey Barrel shade I am using for the Sous Sous.


Onward!

4 comments:

  1. Further to the cricket sweater - tradition was to have the sleeveless one reasonably fitted, and the one with sleeves quite baggy, so it could be worn over all the rest. Says much about the weather village cricketers had to contend with. Bowlers would bowl wearing the sleeveless one, and then retrieve the top one from where it was tied around the umpire's waist by the sleeves, to go and field. I remember seeing Fred Trueman bowl, and he had to re-roll his right shirt sleeve every time, such was the force with which his right arm came over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:11 PM

    Wonderful that your husband is under the care of the Elderly Medicine Unit. So many things are different in the care of an elderly patient - medicine dose amounts change because the drug lingers longer in the body (decreased kidney and liver function with age), for example. The physician specialty of elderly/geriatric medicine is relatively new, and sometimes difficult to find a qualified MD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it possible that your husband's fatigue is related in part to the amount of time he is spending in bed. Whenever I am sick enough to stay in bed for even a few days, when I get up I am pretty weak for the first few days. I have always attributed it to the lack of activity and not wanting to eat much when ill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gerintologists are the best doctors for older folks. They have different training, understand drug issues and interactions and a whole host of other things for elderly patients. The one my dad saw had several medical degrees, trained all over the world and was so helpful and kind. It is super hard to get any info out of the medical people, I don't know why, as family we are the prime care givers and also the patients advocate. Plus you might need to know medical info on subsequent visits to ensure all bases are covered vis a vis patient care. It's very frustrating and can be quite maddening.

    ReplyDelete