Friday, December 09, 2016

Here are pictures of my sister in her Uncia, just to prove that everything is all right. It had been there for a couple of days, in fact (but not in time for the birthday). The card saying they had a package had been submerged by junk Christmas mail.



Today I wound a skein of Ross' yarn. It's not DK. It's pretty well exactly Shetland jumper weight, very soft. I fear swatching is going to be inevitable. I found the pattern in Weinstein's book (sometimes I can find things, sometimes I can't). He wants a watch cap to be tightly knit. I think I'm going to start by attempting a swatch with two strands of yarn held together.

One of the things I Do Not Do is deadline-orientated Christmas knitting. And here I am with two unknit hats and a fortnight to go. I won't be panicked. One or both hats won't be finished by the 25th. That's all right. The world will go on turning, and the light will come back anyway.


Indeed, having wound a skein, I went back to the shawl and have now finished half of the edging for the second side. I wish I had some idea what proportion of the whole the edging constitutes. It won't be negligible but I don't want to deceive myself by claiming too much for it. The birth of this child is a deadline I really don't want to miss.

7 comments:

  1. So glad the Uncia wasn't lost! I think it looks good the way she's wearing it, but you might direct her to Ravelry to see how lots of other people are wearing it. Lots of variety there.

    I don't do Christmas knitting either. I knit for fun. Knitting for a deadline is not fun. (I suppose you can make an exception for the birth of a baby.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news that the recipient is in possession!. You are such a marvel to me Jean. I just can't fathom how you get all the knitting done - especially with everything else going on in your life. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Very graceful choice by your sister, Jean! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is lovely. What a relief that it turned up. I'm knitting to deadline. Or supposed to be. There may be some single socks on Christmas morning. I'm doing worsted weight ones from Drop Dead Easy, so that at least should be doable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have a good scale, you could apply some algebra to the problem of what percentage you have knit: weight of portion already knit / weight of all yarn available = x / 100. Assuming you will have some yarn left over, that will underestimate the percentage you've already knit. By the way, in case algebra escaped you, here's the formula rewritten to solve for x:
    X = wt of knit part * 100 / wt of all yarn
    That should do it. If you don't have a scale, maybe you could take it to the post office! Not worth braving Christmas lines though, I'd guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:48 PM

    The Uncia looks great on your sister! But that way of wearing it doesn't seem very warm.

    Surely one of the hats will be done by Christmas. Hats barely even count in terms of knitting time!

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice of outfit by your sister, but I am not convinced that Uncia would stay put like that. The wide end is so much bigger, and therefore heavier, than the narrow end that it is bound to drag the narrow end out of position.

    ReplyDelete