Sunday, March 26, 2017

Thanks for comments. I should have thought of knitting-back-backwards. Cam, (comment yesterday) your discovery of it at the age of seven is indeed impressive, as I am glad to hear your aunts acknowledged. I have never progressed very far with it.

I’ve had a jolly Laetare Sunday, but, perhaps predictably, not a very productive one. And there’s a long way to go.

I hope I’ll be back in the saddle tomorrow.

Non-knit

We watched the 1950’s film of The Importance of Being Ernest at midday before sinking into a post-prandial stupor. It’s really rather good. It reminded me of how much I adored Joan Greenwood – Whiskey Galore/Tight Little Island, Kind Hearts and Coronets, and much else. In 1953-4, she appeared on the stage in NY in TS Eliot’s “Confidential Clerk” which I had seen during its first few days, in the Edinburgh Festival of 1953,  not many months before.


I went to see it again, that winter, with DB, who, as far as I know, is still alive. I remember that during the interval/intermission, the women were grumbling: “I can’t understand a word she says”. And the men didn’t seem to  mind that and were full of enthusiasm. 

2 comments:

  1. I just watched Joan Greenwood in Tom Jones. A biography said she had a plummy feline voice. She was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched that movie on Sunday as well. I'm pleased to say my 15 year old daughter watched it and giggled throughout. It's lovely to introduce a new generation to the classics and see them enjoy them. Although there are some classics that should be left well alone....

    Lovely to meet you, by the way. I'm Jo of https://howtohyggethebritishway.com/. Kristie from North of 49 sent me.

    ReplyDelete