Friday, April 28, 2017

I’ve now hit a Freecell that is worse than anything. Maybe I’m cured!

I’m sorry about last night’s silence. My husband suddenly, in the late afternoon, developed an infection of some sort – high fever; cold, clammy skin; violent shaking. Mercifully, Helen dropped by just as I was reaching the your-blood-sugar-is-low-please-eat-your-supper-dear stage. We tested his blood sugar, and it was low, but Helen also google’d and diagnosed an infection. We phoned 111.

We’re working on the assumption these days that my husband wants to stay at home at almost any cost, and also under the shadow of the fear that if our “care package” is interrupted for too many days, it will be withdrawn.

The NHS as it presents itself in real life is totally different from the collapsing institution of the media. Omitting from my narrative various alarums and excursions, the emergency dr said that he needed intravenous antibiotics. They act much faster than pills, apparently. He needed hospital, she said. So we decided to let him be taken away.

He was getting stronger before even he left. Helen went with him, bless her, and was there until 2 a.m. – Perdita and I went very gratefully to bed. He was much better this morning, and is coming home in the next couple of hours, with oral antibiotics. And Kelly and Bill will come to put him to bed, as they did yesterday. And all is well – or, at least, as well as it was before.

As for knitting, there is not much to report. I finished the neck ribbing for the Tannehill, but haven’t finished tidying up. This afternoon during hospital-visiting-time, I cast on a pair of socks. I wound the skein into a ball so long ago that I can’t remember what it is – conceivably, Into the Whirled. It's rather nice. I got a couple of rounds done.

Comments

Isabella, Comment Monday, I love the idea of a cat being taken to the rescue shelter because he was “boring”. That’s fully worthy of Thurber. I’ve told Perdita she needs to sharpen her repartee.


Shandy, we need to talk about sleeves. Tomorrow, I hope.

7 comments:

  1. I am having the same experience with Boggle, playing it I am clenching my teeth which leads to a sore jaw and tender shoulders. I am going to have to go cold turkey since it's affecting the amount of time I can comfortably knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing us up to date on the latest bout of difficulties. I am seriouslly impressed with the way your system can work by doing a quick overnight bout of hospital treatment and then back to the normal routine. That is efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:54 PM

    So sorry to hear your husband has been unwell. Those infections can be very tough.
    I hope he is back at home soon and able to wear his new sweater.
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  4. NHS sounds pretty efficient. Thank goodness Helen is around to help. Looking forward to a chat about sleeves. We all have our own way of doing things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you, I have returned to Mahjong...I can't quite get the hang of freecell, but I also play solitaire. I had forgotten the fun of Mahjong, but also find I can spend far too much time and since I play on my cell phone, in bed, it can keep me awake as I attempt a new board. At least it does not interfere with knitting time.
    Glad to hear your husband is returning home after a short hospital stay. Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never cease to be amazed by your stamina as you deal with each of these crises. Knit on.. as EZ said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:20 AM

    Guessed it was a health crisis Jean that had kept you from writing yesterday. It must be so reassuring to have Helen near you to help you make decisions about seeking help. Good speedy service from NHS and it's good that he's comong home after a very short stay in hospital. As my late mother would have said," you deserve a medal". Catriona

    ReplyDelete