Wednesday, October 10, 2018


Here we go. I’m frightened. Tomorrow should be easy – Helen will drive us to the airport after an early lunch; fly to Naples; taxi to hotel; supper somewhere. Only nine more days to go.

However, at least today was a great success on the knitting front. I finished Rachel’s socks – I can take them to her when I go down for the great-granddaughter’s Christening at the end of the month.

And I woke up knowing where the pattern was for the sweater constructed of mitred triangles – Jamieson’s Shetland Knitting Book One. (There are three books in that excellent series, I think – at least, that’s all I’ve got.) My synapses are at their very best – not saying much – first thing in the morning.

What you do is cast on two stitches and knit for a while in garter stitch increasing one at each end of every other row. Stripes are nice here. One edge of your triangle is going to be the lower edge of the garment, the other, part of a side seam. When it’s big enough to go half-way across the wearer, leave it aside and make another the same. Join the two on one needle, with a stitch marker between, and from here on out continue to increase at the outer edges but decrease on either side of the stitch marker. Somehow or other it adjusts itself into a rectangle/square.

And I found my other copy of Laine, more or less where it should be, and you’re right, Mary Lou, and thank you for that: it was “Ancasta” I was thinking of. I think it’s been superseded in my queue by now. KD’s Stronachlachar is ahead of it, certainly. I think I went to see Baa Ram Ewe yarns at that EYF – see yesterday’s comment by Mary Lou – and wasn’t overwhelmed.

So – thanks to Kirsten and the Bond Knitting Machine – that’s all three of yesterday’s half-memories nailed. Very satisfactory.

Non-knit

I’m so glad you like that recipe of Jamie’s, Shandy. You can always steam some new potatoes or warm a baguette, if they want some carbohydrate. It also has the great advantage of being easy to eat, if you’re giving lunch to someone you’re not entirely comfortable with, for whatever reason, and it looks as if you’ve taken trouble.

I’ll be back here on the 21st or 22nd, if all goes well. A big “if”.

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Enjoy Italy!
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you're on that plane it'll be a breeze. I shall enjoy your accounts when you return.

    Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar9:21 PM

    Getting those half-memories nailed is always satisfying. Italy should be a breeze now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:59 PM

    I'm sure all will be well & you'll have a fabuulous time.

    And remember, you are traveling with a strong and sensible young man who loves you. If anything starts to go wrong, he'll be there to help out.

    Looking forward to your return.

    Beverlly in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time, Jean. Take plenty of afternoon naps so you can enjoy the things you have gone to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoy your trip safe travels to you and Archie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the Magnificent Archie to smooth your way. With his brains and your money what could go wrong?
    Have a wonderful trip. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:02 AM

    I know you are probably already on your way, but thought I'd post anyhow.

    Is this the triangle sweater?

    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diagonal-kimono

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Very interesting pattern, if so. As usual (in my experience) the person with the most successful version did not write any notes. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Have a wonderful time. pgnitter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a safe and happy journey! Rest when you need to, enjoy every day no matter what it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joining in with the wishes for an enjoyable visit to Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Safe travels, and with a wonderful grandson, you will have the best time. And so will he.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Safe travels, Jean! I'm sure Archie will take care of all the heavy lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Safe and fun travels! My 88 year old mother is getting ready to go on a boat trip for a few days. She sounded a little hesitant the other day, but if she doesn't feel like getting off the boat and tromping around the little sea towns, she can stay on the boat.
    I have so much knitting stuff and I TRY to keep it all in one place but when I lose something (mostly needles) it drives me bonkers.
    I'm looking forward to The Woolly Thistle receiving more of Susan Crawford's big book so I can have it soon. I do not need anymore knitting books but I'm sure you've said the same. I'll keep buying them because they obviously never grow obsolete in the bulging library. I always enjoy your knitty news, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been away, and then busy, and then I felt I must start catching up with my favorite blogs from the long-ago point where I’d left off (how did I let it go so long?) I’ve been greedily racing through all your adventures, wishing I hadn’t let myself get so behind.
    All to say that now I have made it to your voyage and will have to wait to find out how it was.
    Hoping you have been thoroughly enjoying your travels and not letting yourself get too exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:28 AM

    dear wanderer, your "if" is just beyond the 22nd. IF you and yours are just having a great time, more power to you! Just starting to worry and fuss about you. If the IF was a November IF, I will worry about you any way - its what I do best. pgnitter

    ReplyDelete