Sunday, November 04, 2018


I have done no knitting yet today, but hope soon to hunker down with some. I should soon -- perhaps even this evening – finish the underarm decreases for the Calcutta Cup vest, and be in position to see pretty clearly how wide the shoulders will be. Moment of truth.

I’m sure you’ve noticed the storms in Italy. The newspapers here have concentrated on the usual flooding of Venice, but it’s far worse than that. The excavations at Pompeii closed, people swept to their deaths by flood waters in Sicily. Archie and I were very, very lucky in our timing.

The clocks have gone back, and I have begun to think of the Cheerful Knitting which becomes essential as darkness closes in. (First, I must finish the vest.) “Foldlines” in an off-white doesn’t qualify. I think the next thing in my mental queue is Kate Davies’ Stronachlachar. The yarn is her Buachaille, which I have used and liked. There are two possible reddish colourways – red, I think, is what Cheerful Knitting depends on – and of those, I think I’d go for Highland Coo.

Another, or an additional, possibility is the Slouch Hat Kit that Loop of London sells. I knit two of them, three or four Christmasses ago, and can testify that it does fine as Cheerful Knitting and also results in a well-received gift. So that’s a possibility, too.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:20 AM

    Stronachlachar in one of the red colorways seems perfect.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:34 AM

    Red is always great. Highland Coo looks quite orangey on my screen - but still a red

    the slouch hat is great - I followed your example and got one (for the same reasons) and it fit the bill perfectly and was much wanted by the family.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Highland Coo is most definitely orange in real life. A beautiful, deep, utterly satisfying orange.

    ReplyDelete