Friday, May 31, 2019


I’ve had a good day with the Spring Shawl, and have advanced from Page Three to Page Four of the pattern. That’s exciting. The patterns in the centre of the triangle are beginning to develop – not difficult; anyone can manage k2tog, YO. But confusing, because now the action is on every row, and the centre-triangle patterns don’t relate to the border mesh.

Sharon says that there was no point in charting the whole of the triangle because it is obvious how it works, once you get started. I can imagine having to chart it for myself.

I am puzzled – although I ought to be able to work it out – as to how the increases work. On the Dathan hap – you can see it behind me in yesteday’s picture – the increases stay where I put them. You can see the attractive spine they make down the centre of the hap. On the Spring Shawl, every row begins with an increase and somehow or other the new stitches are passed from hand-to-hand and wind up in the centre while the wide mesh edges remain the same size.

I’ve done a bit more Calcutta Cup scarf, too.

Comments

Thank you for your help with my literary puzzle. JennyS, I made a start on your suggestion – searching for “A Mister Wilkinson, a clergyman” in quotes. I didn’t find the two sources you mention, but I did find references, at least, to an American book about literary criticism and to something by Emerson, although I didn’t persevere to the point of finding the actual quotation in those sources. Their existence, however, half-answers my question as to how my mother got to hear of it.

I rather fancy the idea of all those bearded literary men trying to invent the most boring possible line of blank verse, and then somehow attributing it to Wordsworth.

Cats

No change. Perdita keeps entirely to her room. The door is open. She is free to move about, and Paradox is free to come in, although both Perdita and I try to discourage that. I don’t suppose counselling is available for cats.

3 comments:

  1. It was lovely to see you in action in yesterday’s post. How the increases line up, or are incorporated, at least for me requires a chart. Could you chart a bit of it to answer the question? Or if it is working, never mind, and trust Sharon. I never heard of the Mr. Wilkinson, but I remember all sorts of odd things my grandmother would say that turn out to be some old literary bit. She told me once that she remembered her father reading them The Vicar of Wakefield, which seems very odd for a rural family in the west of Ireland in the 19th century, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar3:08 AM

    Search engines 'read' "Mister" differently from "Mr" - if you searched for "Mister" you may not have seen some of the references that use "Mr". On the other hand, search engines often seem to refuse to bring up the same items when I repeat a search, as if they were offended that I ignored some and felt that I had had my chance, and shouldn't have to reread anything. I switch between google and duckduckgo because they tend to produce different results.

    I suspect that joking about Wordsworth was almost de regeur, once he was named Laureate. He was guilty of some line-filling, but the pressure of having to produce an epic virtually every week must allow some flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar3:09 AM

    Drat. I knew I'd goofed. "de rigueur", of course.

    ReplyDelete