Tuesday, July 23, 2019


A better day, I guess. I did a circuit of the garden. I dispatched some paperwork which had been weighing on my conscience. I also knit two rows of the Spring Shawl. It was too hot to knit even fine wool with perfect comfort, although we would scarcely call this warm in New Jersey. I’m glad it wasn’t this hot last week on the Isle of Wight.

Amazon delivered a Pussy Cat Drinking Fountain. I had never heard of such a thing. But the cat (Hamish by name) has one, who lives with the nice man who looked after my cats while I was away, and it sounded like a good idea.

Perdita (by far the cleverer) found it first:



Paradox endlessly suspects that Perdita has something better. She soon joined in, and was at first driven away with an oath:



But then Perdita let her have a go:



Since that time, some hours ago, neither has paid it any attention.

Reading

Beth, thank you for the additional plug for “Station Eleven”. It is now under even more serious consideration. I’m pressing on with “Can You Forgive Her?” Parts of it are unexpectedly dull.

The Palliser novels were on television, back in the late 60’s I think, and although we didn’t have a television set in those days, we saw bits of it,  and I can’t imagine Lady Glencora as anyone other than Susan Hampshire.

1 comment:

  1. The Pallisers episodes are still available to watch. I've moved on to reading Trollope's autobiography. There's a wonderful story of his worst moment when the mother of a girl who had been sending him love-letters turned up at his office.

    ReplyDelete