Sunday, December 01, 2019


Not much this evening, as I must go to bed. We all went to lunch with Greek Helen – me and C. and her daughter, another C., and the daughter’s husband (the parents of the forthcoming baby), and the elder C.'s friend Ian and Helen’s son Fergus. Delicious celeriac soup, delicious bread, delicious salad, and so forth. But I had no nap, and am about to expire.

Nor have I done much knitting. I did watch the Andrew Marr show this morning which consisted at least in part of Marr and the Prime Minister talking over each other so that neither could be heard. I’m sure nobody treats Trump like that. I did a couple more rows of Dathan hap while that was going on. Now I am in the middle of a row, inevitably, and will have to finish it before laying the hap aside.

I’m running low on kimchi and will need to make more soon. I am surprised at my failure to find my Definitive Recipe, but I think I have read and (on Youtube) viewed enough to get the general idea back into my head. A remarkable amount is optional, after the brining of the essential Napa cabbage.

Jenny, your suggestion about re-homing Paradox helped clarify my thinking. I could no more get rid of her than I could sell one of the children. Perdita and I will just have to grin and bear it.

8 comments:

  1. Jean, your comment re. Paradox reminded me of my mother and made me laugh. She used to say “I wouldn’t trade you for anything in the world. Just don’t think I haven’t tried.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our cats (sisters) have had no time for each other since we got them at the same time 16 years ago. Now, at long last, they seem to have got used to sharing the house with eachother and will even both settle in the same room! Now the only hissy fits happen when they both want the same lap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, there is no way Paradox could leave the household. She's too loved and Perdita is the greatly loved eldest. When our children say we need a buddy for Timothy, we say no. He is more spoiled than any cat we've ever had and I rather like indulging him. LOL.
    Last night when two of our families were here for the dinner hour I found myself thinking about our cozy bed and I fell asleep twice while watching Home Alone with three grands. I guess after pulling an "all day-er" I'm ready for bed very early. Smile.
    I love looking back and back and back at my ten year old+ blog. I allowed myself much more food back then. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog probably contains your recipe and any adaptations for making kimchi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago we had a terrier who went bad, as they do. She refused to stop picking fights with the German Shepherds, who tried very hard to avoid harming her. Eventually she had to live in the bathroom. The alternative would have been euthanasia, since she was too nasty to be rehomed. So, don't all the bst families have a dog who lves in the bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:34 AM

    Hope it was a big bathroom:). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. =Tamar4:51 PM

    You made kimchi in May 2018 and in June 2019. Although they don't necessarily give the ideal recipe, perhaps rereading those blogs and the comments thereto might jog your memory of the recipe you found best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a "grumpy cat" named Penny. She is the quintessential Black Cat, originally found in a dumpster and very much feral. Since coming to live with us (I have yet to remember quite how that happened), she has attached herself to me and of course I am touched. She bites, she scratches, she swats at all and sundry -- and I would no more get rid of her than any human child of mine. (But don't tell my kids....;))

    ReplyDelete