Sunday, April 19, 2020


List-making helped. There were only three items on it. I did two of them (and so enjoyed striking them off) and should manage the third tomorrow. The virtual post-Mass Zoom-coffee went fairly well. Several people previously known only by sight are now acquaintances. And one day, maybe, we’ll have actual coffee again…

It’s hard to believe, in my gloomier moments.

But I was glad to hear about your wild turkeys, Mary Lou. I’ve seen them only once in my life. I was staying with my sister and brother-in-law in Ivoryton, CT -- mouth of the river. My mother had fallen, and was in hospital in Middletown. One evening, when Roger was driving me back to Ivoryton, we saw three or four of them, and pulled over to watch for a while.

Knitting progressed today, at least somewhat. The Andrew Marr show on Sunday morning can be counted on for that. I had a sudden instinct that what I want to knit next is some nice, squishy, comforting brioche. Nothing I looked at seemed right. Perhaps I’ll try some Marchant books with my supper.

Andrew Marr always has top-rank guests. One of them today was an Oxford virology professor. She had the admirable quality of answering the question and then ceasing to talk, in both respects unlike a politician. The interview raised the possibilities (which I had been dimly aware of from elsewhere) that (a) having COVID-19 doesn’t prevent you having it again, soon; and (b) we may never achieve a vaccine.

4 comments:

  1. Turkeys have made a come-back in the past decade, but I've never seen a full display mating ritual. I thought of you a few minutes ago, Jean. One of the NYTimes Food writers, Melissa Clark, is doing a series of cooking from pantry staples, and she had a kimchi soup. Perhaps a solution if the Wrong Cabbage Kimchi isn't quite up to snuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to read about a Sunday morning television show which is not politics. All of the ones in the US are ALL politics, and these days are not worth watching. In fact, I have given up on politics, and basically the news. Well, no, not really, but I wish I could. Stay well, Jean. Coming here to read about the 2 Ps, Wrong Cabbage Kimchi, good books, and great knitting is keeping many of us sane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:56 PM

    I often see wild turkeys in fall and winter on daily early-morning walks along the local creek in Santa Clara county, California. Indeed the turkeys often explore the athletic fields on the high school grounds nearby. Even deer sometimes come by, not to mention raccoons, opossums, and skunks. And this is a major metropolitan area.
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne C.6:35 PM

    Last spring on Cape Cod, we had 3 female turkeys in our yard, and a group of 8 toms literally strutted in, hoping to attract someone. I watched as the females completely ignored the males, and wandered off across the street. We're missing them, and the foxes, since we're staying at home in Maryland, not sure when or if we'll make it north.

    ReplyDelete