Monday, January 18, 2021

 

2477 steps – not bad.

 

And I’ve finished the borders on Gudrun’s hap, and started on the edging. It is as simple an edging as it is possible to conceive, and I’m having a terrible time with it. I got the first scallop done, finally, on the fourth attempt, and have just seen a huge hole where a hole shouldn’t be, in the second. Maybe I’ve knit enough for today.

 

I’m going to have lots of yarn left over. It’s a pity it’s hand-wash-only. It would be fun to knit the other baby’s Polliwog (Mary Lou’s pattern, in “Drop Dead Easy Knits”) in the same yarn. They’ll be first cousins. The Polliwog wants sport weight yarn. I think what I did last time was to use sock yarn, for washability; stitch numbers for the largest size; and measurements for the smallest. It worked out surprisingly well.

 

I had a nice Zoomtime with my sister this morning.

 

Reading

 

I’m enjoying Candia McWilliam’s “What to Look For in Winter”. There’s much sadness in it, though. She has a strange affliction which renders her almost blind – not that her eyes can’t see, but that she can’t open them properly. She’s two years older than my Rachel – not what you’d call old. I don’t know how I could have forgotten the book so completely. Our house is mentioned in it, and people I know. Perhaps when I made that list some time ago of my 10 favourite books, they were chosen because they were the only ones I could actually remember having read.

 

Thank you for your remarks about Madeline Stanhope (in “Barchester Towers”), Shandy. I wouldn’t call that remarkable passage about her child “racist” – the little girl’s only offence is to be half-Italian. The author’s hostility is directed at whoever – presumably Madeline – dressed her up in such ridiculous clothes. You are right to contrast that scene with Eleanor’s constant cuddling of her baby. I wonder if they took him along on the honeymoon – Trollope doesn’t tell us that.

 

I’m glad we’ve driven you to “The Way We Live Now”, Janet. That’s a good one.

3 comments:

  1. If you really remember a book it should make it into the favorite list, I think. I am sorry sometimes that most parents will not want a sweater that needs to be hand washed, when I have some lovely yarn that would otherwise be perfect. I can’t say I blame them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:46 AM

    For babies and small children who grow so quickly one or two wearings might be all that is possible before they outgrow a garment, in which case for someone living nearby (particularly a family member) I would be quite willing to offer to do the laundering myself. Not an option for everyone of course. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar3:42 PM

    Perhaps you could knit a matching adult sized hat from the yarn.

    ReplyDelete