Monday, January 30, 2023

 

Again, I didn’t go out. Otherwise it was a more productive day. I unearthed a motley collection of Shetland yarn from stash and started that hap.

 

It begins with the central square, knit corner to corner which of course produces the illusion at first that one is making rapid progress. Every row begins with a YO, producing a set of dear little loops which will eventually be picked up to form the basis of the borders. The borders are then knit round and round, all four, increasing at the corners. That means that alternate rounds have to be purled, to maintain garter stitch. There are other ways of configuring a Shetland shawl in which that isn’t required. The last time I did one – for wee Hamish, above – I worried in advance about all that purling but in fact didn’t find it as bad as I expected.

 

The colours available in stash were pretty boring – I think my taste runs to the dull – but there are a few bright balls and I hope they might liven the whole if tastefully deployed in the feather-and-fan section.

 

Meanwhile Helen and I set ourselves to phone the doctor. Not to be lightly undertaken, these days. We eventually got through to the surgery. The man I want to speak to doesn’t have a telephone-conversation-appointment slot available for the next fortnight, but if we can get thought first thing tomorrow we might be able to speak to him tomorrow. Helen will try. (It’s no wonder a&e departments are overburdened these days.) Otherwise I’ll have to speak to one of the others. If I can.

 

Wordle: A wide range today, and I wasn’t the worst! Little Rachel needed six – she got grn, grn, grn, ??, grn and guessed wrong twice. Theo and his father Roger both needed five. Big Rachel and I were the fours, while the Loch Fyne Mileses – Alexander, Ketki, and Thomas – all scored three, as did their dear friend Mark.

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Mary Lou11:14 PM

    It took me six tries for Wordle today, and I barely lucked out on the last guess. I think any mixture of colors will work in the hap - and at least you know it will fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar3:49 AM

    Good idea, starting a new project to get back in the swing.

    I only just realized that the center being worked diagonally makes it fold naturally for wear as a triangle. Shetland designs are intended to work with quieter colors, aren't they? So it should be lovely.

    I tried carrying the yarn over my left shoulder and it virtually demanded that I purl by just pushing the yarn with my left thumb. If I make a hap, I think that would make the long purling much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about carrying the wool over the left shoulder. I must give it a go. I discovered Arne & Carlos Norwegian purl recently and that works for me but is still a bit longwinded.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:11 PM

    That sounds similar to Portuguese knitting where the yarn is carried around the neck which makes purling nothing more than a flick of the thumb. Useful if you are doing long stretches of just purl. Otherwise probably too much of a bother. Unless you want to go full-bore Portuguese which is probably more than most of us want to take on at this stage. I investigated it once in case I got severe arthritis but so far so good. Chloe

    ReplyDelete