Saturday, May 04, 2024

 A good day, although grey. Helen and David came and we got over to the garden again. It looked as though the gardener was about to cover the paths with loose stones. If it happens, it would prevent my going there. There was no gardener about to remonstrate with, just sacks of pebbles.  A few had already been deployed in a particularly damp patch.

   Mild excitement: I emailed my favourite columnist a few days ago. She is in a wheelchair since falling from her horse ten years or so ago. Melanie Read. I asked her to write about fashion for the wheelchair-user, or at least advice on what-to-buy. “I have been asked by some readers…” she says today, followed by a most useful article, with addresses, which I have saved of course and will re-read carefully and often. It is in the Magazine section of today’s Times.

   I think she is slightly more mobile than I am, but has the use of only one hand.

   I’ve got two, and got knitting to the very verge of the next decrease round. Each such round eliminates four stitches and their lack is beginning to be felt.

   It can’t be long now until Kate Davies’ club actually starts. I am keeping myself going by reading Tom Lake by Ann Patchett and by listening to Avocado Anxiety by Louise Grey as I nap or knit.

   Wordle: another five for me. My starters landed me with three vowels, two browns and a green. I was completely baffled. I resorted to Jean-words for both line three (omitting one of the vowels) and line four — this time everybody was there, but one of the brown vowels hadn’t changed position. Jean-words aren’t entirely useless when I’m desperate.

   Mark got three (that counts as brilliant, today). Rachel. Thomas, Roger and Ketki were fours. Alexander and Theo joined me on five.




   

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing a video of your outing on Instagram! I am listening to The Woman Who Smashed Codes and am thoroughly enjoying it. The beginning is set in the part of Illinois I was just visiting, and my friend who lives there recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful - Melanie Read! I do think she is incredible - so resilient. Mind you, she is also at least twenty, or possibly, thirty years younger than you are. And I don't imagine she was ever a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar2:56 AM

    I wonder if there is someone in charge of the garden walks who could be talked to regarding surfaces being made unusable and the gardens made inaccessible for the residents. Is there an equivalent of the American ADA, about making public places accessible?

    Very rainy all along the East Coast here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:07 PM

    I am curious as to your thoughts on Tom Lake, I really enjoyed it but what has stayed with me most is her scenes of family life and her descriptions of the local landscape, rather than the plot. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:29 PM

    That last sentence landed like a thud. What I meant was in Tom Lake Ann Patchett is very good at creating a unique world that stayed with me even after finishing this book.Chloe

    ReplyDelete