Saturday, December 30, 2006

Not much knitting today, either. I’ll post a picture of the Calcutta Cup sweater tomorrow, to round off Ought Six in appropriate fashion. It’s inching its way forward.

Current Events

I have always been horrified by the death penalty, but it wasn’t until I read Brendan Behan’s play, “The Quare Fellow”, that I was able to put a finger on what’s wrong: namely, that the normal human conscience is revolted by the taking of a defenceless life. I think the BBC announcer was expressing something of the same idea this morning, when he allowed himself a brief snort of amusement at President Bush’s idea that an execution can be a step on the road to “democracy”.

More Xmas

James sent me some Xmas pictures yesterday. Here I am, pruning an apple tree. I like this one. The pose flatters the figure – and just look at that left arm! Thank you for your concern about it, Lorna. I’m doing fine, I think. It’s still weak and sore, but getting better and more functional, day by day.

DSCN4855

The red secateurs add an artistic coup de rouge, don't you think?

And here are two of the ones he stopped to take on the way to Mass on Christmas morning.

DSCN4921

DSCN4919

Comments

Marty52, Grumperina has been on my Favorites list for a while now. She’s good.

Catherine, the Scottish New Year isn’t what it used to be. I’m glad in a way – in the old days, it would have lasted all next week. As late as the 60’s, England scarcely celebrated the New Year and Scotland was pretty casual about Christmas. But now, due no doubt to the forces of commerce, Christmas is big here, and the New Year is big, too, in a party-and-fireworks sense which leaves little time and no strength for the old-style First Footing.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:15 AM

    I love the frosty pictures. Have looked at them again and again as the winds have howled here in Dublin. No snow here yet.

    ReplyDelete