Monday, January 22, 2007

Comments

Most importantly: Kate, (comment January 16) the only reason I don’t carry yarn up the inside of the Calcutta Cup sweater, from row to row, is that there are too many colours. If you can do it, by all means do. I’m using three different light-coloured shades for the foreground, a total of six browns and dark greys for the background, and red and gold for the centre row of each motif – more than might appear. My hope is that they combine to make the sweater more interesting to look at.

Lene, (comment January 16) if the gods could run the Trojan War from the outskirts of Thessaloniki, I figure they ought to be able to manage British weather, at least occasionally.

Now, steeks.
Julie, thank you for reminding me about Lind’s “Knitting in the Nordic Tradition.” It’s an utterly wonderful book, and it had been too long since I had it off the shelf. She’s got steeking all right, although at a glance I don’t see the actual word, which is what we’re concerned with at the moment.

And I can’t find my copy of Gibson-Roberts. I located yesterday’s missing Feitelson, but this one is really gone – I think it may be in Kirkmichael as a back-up book for the construction of Ketki’s gansey. I don’t keep knitting books there, but they go back and forth a lot on a need-to-know basis. I will certainly look when we’re next there. McGregor’s Fair Isle book is the earlier work, but Gibson-Roberts is still earlier than Starmore.

LaurieG, I’ve got several Threads compendiums – I’ll have a look and see if I can find the article you mention.

And it is indeed worth remembering, in all this, how wonderful many of Starmore’s patterns are. I’ve got a lot of her books, but I’ve never actually knit one. I long coveted the “Stillwater” pattern, but when I tried, sometime in ’05, the irregularity and unpredictability of it defeated me. I like my Fair Isles (and intarsias) rhythmical.

That’s probably enough for now. And it leaves me with plenty up my sleeve – Ketki’s gansey, the Calcutta Cup sweater, last week’s arrivals in the post.

Here’s a snowy picture of my vegetable garden. I had a lovely time with the seed catalogues last week. That earthy patch is where my husband dug up some soil to re-pot the Christmas tree.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Jean,
    I was amused by the several comments on yesterday's post on "checking to see if you were back". It would be a shame to spoil your readership figures, but we really ought to tell them about bloglines.

    For some unknown reason, there are a few blogs that just don't show up on bloglines and I admit I find it so tedious clicking to see if there is a new post, that I would only do it for a blog I *really* liked.

    OK you would fall into that category and QueerJoe did, but I just tried to set his blog up in bloglines again and it seems to be working now - Hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, now I'm curious too. I pulled out my copy of "The Principles of Knitting" by June Hemmons-Hyatt, also published 1988, and it definitely contains the word steek - again in the index and through the text.

    I've been singularly unimpressed by Starmore since I realized some designs from her Celtic Collection were taken (stolen? you be the judge) directly, without adaptation, from "Celtic Charted Designs" by Co Spinnhoven. The charts were published in 1987, the Celtic Collection in 1993.

    ReplyDelete