Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mel, (comment yesterday) we have all seen the photographs: if you lost 2 ½ stone, you would softly and suddenly vanish away, as the Baker did when the Snark proved to be a Boojum. But you’re absolutely right that stress is a major problem in this area.

My husband was diagnosed diabetic sometime in the early 90’s, and after a long, long transitional period, I now really don’t like sugar. That helps. (I have read that the same thing can happen with salt, and that food actually tastes more interesting after the painful transition. If I could do that, I’d live forever.)

For comfort I mostly make do with tins of Green Giant sweetcorn (with or without added peppers), eaten from the tin. The urge to draw a cider-provided veil between myself and the stresses of life is slowly receding. I was pleased to note that I navigated Thursday, the filing of the income tax and the discovery that the dining room ceiling leaks, without feeling the need for a bottle.

Peanut butter remains a fatal lure. I can’t keep it in the house.

Speaking of cider, I found the local branch of the Wine Rack locked yesterday. The owner, Thresher’s, had been in administration for some time -- I knew that. I went in on Tuesday, after driving back from Strathardle in the rain worrying about whether the Forth Road Bridge would be open, to get a bottle of cider. (Home-from-Strathardle-lunch is a recognised exemption.) Shelves were thinly stocked, there was no Weston’s Vintage, and the manager, a friend from my more bibulous days, was sunk in gloom. No one was telling him anything. His first child, a little girl, was expected at any moment – already a week overdue. And he didn’t know whether he’d have a job next week.

Presumably he now doesn’t have one. He’s young and strong and responsible enough to manage an off-license. He should be all right in the end. But it’s very tough.

So, knitting.

Susan, the repair of that line of st st in my ASJ wouldn’t have involved the crochet hook – I was only a couple of rows past the spot when I found it, and the thing to do would have been to rip. The yarn is cheerful, independent stuff – picking up 294 stitches would have been perfectly possible, if slow. Better than the crochet hook, anyway. (But I didn’t do it, and still don’t regret it.)

And you’re absolutely right about how it must have happened. Despite being garter stitch, the ASJ has a clear front-and-back because I am joining in new colours consistently on one side, as Meg suggests. I must have purled a wrong-side row instinctively, and not noticed because the purl bumps fit in so neatly with garter stitch. It remains odd that I didn’t notice on the next row, either.

Here it is. My ambition is to finish the current section, the lengthening, next week, and start the edging. The st st row is in the broad red stripe near the bottom.


Slouch hat today, anyway. I’m having such fun that I may have to knit one for myself, when this holiday thing is over. It occurred to me yesterday that I could probably spend the whole year of the yarn-fast knitting with sock yarn. Then another two years knitting lace, and we might be beginning to get somewhere.

8 comments:

  1. I have been knitting lace out of sock yarn recently, as a way to use up those single balls floating around the stash.
    It is also very good for baby clothes and hats.
    I look forward to seeing your sock yarn projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in that ASK are really wonderful. It is fun to see it taking shape without having to do any of the actual work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:25 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The husband of a colleague of mine is an accomplished home brewer... while I don't have much a taste for beer, my philosopher friend and I went to watch the brewing process (fascinating!) Anyway, while the philosopher sampled a variety of the darker home brews (being Swiss-German and all) I tried out the home-brewed cider.... it was fantastic (like you, Jean I prefer the cider). Apparently home-brewed cider is not hard to make- the brewer said he would show me how once I move into my own house and have some space the do it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ASJ is looking lovely. I am (almost) tempted to try and make one myself.
    I just used up a single ball of sock wool (given to me) to make a beret for someone. It was one of those self patterning yarns and the patten was completely lost of course but it still looks very interesting...and the recipient likes it which, I suppose, is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in the ASJ. Like Lisa R-R, I use sock yarn for lace knitting also.

    My husband shares your fatal lure - peanut butter. Can't keep it in the house. Amazing how fast one person can empty the jar. In fact, anything peanut butter flavored will be gone almost as soon as it's put in the cupboard.

    My lure is crunchy snacks mmm - crisps). And my taste buds disagree with those who claim carrots are a suitable substitute. I eat them, yes, as a healthy alternative. But I've never been tempted to eat a whole bag of them at one sitting. I don't keep them in the house, either. Too much temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like salty things as well. Here in the US, of course, we've just finished Thanksgiving. I'm not sure I'll ever need to eat again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say your fortitude in your weight loss is admirable. Well done. Well done too on the ASJ. The stockinette row is a design element, haha!

    ReplyDelete