Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A quick touching-of-base. No photograph.

We’re poised for London. Catching the train will be tough. Once on it, a happy day’s knitting stretches ahead, with the latest collection of Jhumpa Lahiri's short stories to fall back on.

Yesterday went well. The Secret of Life is not to do any ironing or cleaning. Then it becomes possible to achieve quite a bit, even if slowed down by old age. I think the income tax is about ready for on-line filing. A terrifying prospect, but I’ve done it twice before. And this year, I’ve left things so late that I’ve missed the deadline for filing on paper.

I’ll double-check everything when we get back, and then just do it – in time to start on the Christmas cards.

I attended to the must-do’s-before-we-leave, unless I’ve forgotten some of them, and got quite a bit of knitting done, as well. I’ve reached the 15th increase row, of 25, on the front of the ASJ. And finished a skein of Charcoal – all stash-holders will recognise the thrill of actually finishing a skein. And knocked off two full repeats of the Mysterious Christmas Project.

The discussion of sleeved shawls has been interesting (yesterday, including comments). It is a demonstration, I am absolutely sure, of the thesis that great minds think alike. I am sure that Sarah Hatton’s pattern and the previous Sleeves-in-Your-Pi were separate inspirations. (Although I read something by a classical scholar once about the difficulty of knowing whether the brilliant idea that occurs to you in your bath is indeed original, or something you read four years ago.)

I’m glad to hear (Fleegle’s comment yesterday) that Sleeves-in-Your-Pi is still popular on Ravelry. And I will remember, if it makes its way back to my HALFPINT list, her idea of shaping the sleeve caps.

Day is forming outside the window. It is time to face up to it. Goodbye for now.

5 comments:

  1. I am now setting my sights on making a Niebling with sleeves. I have to find a pattern that is not enormous, as I do not want a sweater with a 3-foot trailing train behind it!

    I am impressed that you still iron clothes. I have an iron, and the last thing I used it for was making grilled cheese sandwiches in my college dorm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:40 PM

    Hi Jean!I've been a follower of yours for many years - you have kept me company when we have lived abroad and I greatly value your views and opinions. Becuase of this, I was interested in your choice of book for your journey to London this week, looked up Jhumpa Lahiri and ended up buying all three of her works from Amazon! I started Unaccoustomed Earth immediately and am enjoying it immensely! I'll take it with me on the Eurostar to Paris on Sunday! Thanks for the info. Stella Smith PS - I can't wait for you to get back from London - hope you had a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:38 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your blog immensely! Have a good trip to London!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:21 AM

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete