Thursday, March 18, 2010

I can’t tell you what I’m knitting, except that it is progressing nicely and won’t take long. That leaves space for what I’m thinking about.

I just tried Googling for “knitted lace jabot”. Surely I must have done that before? This time, I hit pay dirt – a man who wears one his wife knitted, based on something in VLT. Scroll down a bit; there are some nice pics. His name is Matthew Newsome, and I have pursued him via the links provided and sent an email expressing admiration and asking for tips.

I had sort of got the impression that James wasn’t brave enough to wear such a thing, but he mentioned it rather wistfully at Christmas, and I think it’s time I got back on the job. I mean to start again from the beginning, despite the claim of the progress bar.

And I’ve got the Vertical Kaleidoscope Cardigan pattern. Yesterday’s time-consuming problem centered around the fact that even after I figured out how to pay for it, and had successfully done so, I couldn’t download it. It was worth the struggle.

I have also chased up a couple of other ideas suggested by the Ravelry search for swing jackets, in particular Shiri Mor’s “swing cardi”, no.19 in VK Winter 2007/8. Cynthia, I spotted it in the VK sale you recommended me to have a look at – but there was no need to buy it. That one, like the Kaleidoscope, is knit side-to-side, and swinginess is achieved with large short-row wedges, wide at the bottom hem, narrowing to a point somewhere near the armpit.

Could I add some wedges to the Kaleidoscope? Do I want to? My new, improved shape still involves an old woman’s solidity of waist and thigh. Is that an area one entirely wants to draw attention to? Still, it’s fun to think about.

I am interested in Shirley Paden’s new book about designing knitwear. I greatly admire her work. She has a stunner in the VK just mentioned, No. 17. But am I ever going to do that much designing?

I spent some time yesterday catching up with the Socklady’s blog – link in sidebar. She is particularly good at evoking the sense of life lived cheerfully and simply cheek-by-jowl with powerful and dangerous nature, and she also knits beautiful socks.

Non-knit

I think I won yesterday’s round with the electricity board. Their first line of defense put up stiff resistance, but once I got through to the higher-ups, they agreed very quickly that the figures I was providing suggest that something is wrong. Someone is now booked to come and inspect the meter, although not until next month. I never throw utility bills away, but until recently would have been hard-put to tell you how a five-year-old electricity bill could ever be of any subsequent use.

They were very useful yesterday. Recently, our average annual consumption was just under 2000 units a year. Now, we’re apparently using that much and more in a quarter. As students are endlessly being told in the margins of their essays, Be Specific. It does help advance an argument.

7 comments:

  1. Dawn in NL10:28 AM

    Jean,

    I followed the link to see the handknit jabot. Looks really good. It would perhaps look better with a little more fullness so that the jabot falls into folds, more like the one above (where the wearer is showing how he ties it).

    I will look forward to seeing James modelling the end result.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. GrannyPurple12:26 PM

    I, too, have significant Koigu stash, and had trouble actually getting the pattern after I paid for it. It was solved more or less immediately by them emailing it directly. She explained that they have upgraded their security system, and it isn't quite tweaked yet. (A bit like being suspected of shoplifting after you've bought something!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tell your tell around here, it will justify my husband's habit of keeping all utility bills forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once, back in the early days of computerization, I got an electric bill. It was for ten thousand dollars. So I called the power company and said "I've got a bill that's wrong here." and the woman on the other end got all snippy and said "How do you KNOW?" and I replied "Well, it's for ten thousand dollars, and I'm not the hospital. In fact, I'm in an apartment." Dead silence on the other end.

    Good luck. I hope your electric bills get cut way back. And I can't wait to see what you knit next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:44 PM

    Jean, I so enjoy following your varied interests. I follow every literary, gardening, jabot-knitting or family-updating link you publish!
    Beverly in CA near Yosemite

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar4:30 PM

    Thanks for the reminder to organize my records; they were useful years ago when I had a similar problem with a broken water meter. They tried very hard to claim their meter wasn't broken, despite a visible flood still pouring out of it; turning off the water entirely to show the meter still running was the final proof.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very funny! Matt Newsome is who made my wedding kilt. His wife has also knit him kilt hose, I know. I have to knit my own.

    ReplyDelete