Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Tennis

I read or heard somewhere over the weekend that Mr Nadal had complained to the Wimbledon authorities at having to play a match today, on the heels of yesterday's effort. So he must be greatly relieved at not having to do so after all, and I am sure Mr Kyrgios won't complain at having to take his place at short notice.

Goodness, that was exciting. Four of my grandchildren are older than Mr Kyrgios (pronounced without the “g” as if it were “kyrios”. Lord). He has never been to Wimbledon before, and until yesterday had never had a match with a top-10 player. 

It would be wonderful if he could win the whole thing, but that would be far too good to be true. The same applies to Mr Murray, so that leaves Federer and Djokovic. I suppose it'll be Djokovic.

Knitting

All went well, yesterday. I exercised some care in not trying to combine knitting with tennis except while everyone was sitting down. I've done 16 bumps so far, of the edging of the Unst Bridal Shawl.

I share your wonderment, catdownunder, at the fine work of Shetland knitters, with no electricity to knit by, even, for most museum pieces and collectors' items. And they are literally perfect, or virtually so, over thousands and thousands of stitches. Sharon Miller with a magnifying glass can perhaps find an extra k3tog...

My UBS is going to be a poor thing, overall, because of the trouble I had establishing the borders after knitting the centre. And the row of motifs I was doing at Easter, with all those k3togs, manifests a certain clumsiness. Not to mention the Messy Corner. And there are many instances of places where I found I had too many stitches or too few and made a little adjustment in situ. I wouldn;t quite say that that happens all the time, but it's often enough to be too trivial to mention here. It'll be all right when it's blocked, I tell myself – but Hazel Carter says that that's when you see all your mistakes.

I don't quite understand how your lifeline works, Knitting08816, and I want to. You mean it's in the border stitches – not at right angles, through a row of the edging? I've never used lifelines but I'm beginning to wonder...

On a more cheerful note, Lavold's “Viking Knits and Ancient Ornaments” turned up yesterday. Highly enjoyable. There is something profoundly satisfying to the eye and to the mind, about Celtic knottery, whether knitted or drawn or carved.

We have a fine group of such stones at Miegle, near Strathardle. It's been a long time since I've seen them – maybe an expedition this summer? They don't even seem to have a website of their own –the link is to one called “Undiscovered Scotland”. Lavold's book is illustrated with knotwork from a wide variety of sources, and not indexed. Maybe Miegle is even in there somewhere.


I find in my book-sorting so far that books of patterns by single designers are the ones most likely to be consigned to the flames (= put into a banana box to be taken downstairs – let's keep this thing in perspective). Lavold will escape, I think. Anyway, it's not just a book of patterns. One can make one's own use of the motifs, as with Starmore. Perhaps there could be something for Archie here, along the lines of the one on the cover.

Today's excitement is another dental appt for my husband, which should advance the cause of the Pakokku socks somewhat.

Non-knit

I reflected yesterday, walking my little morning walk to the corner shop to get the papers, that if I were Shandy or Kate Davies, I would take some pictures for you of the remarkable gardens people have on their steps and in the basement-level areas. Our next door neighbour, for instance, has a good-sized chestnut tree in a pot. Then I thought, why not, and actually took some pictures. I hope to have them organised for you soon -- I still haven't mastered pictures on my new laptop, and so still load them into the old computer and edit them there and mail them to myself, a slow process.

9 comments:

  1. John McEnroe says, very excitedly and animated as only he can, that Mr. K is the next big thing. I think he might be right. You could sell some of your books on Ravelry if you could be bothered with the hassle of wrapping up and posting them. I can't get enough of other peoples' gardens/planters this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading something from Stan Smith a few weeks ago about Wimbledon, saying that Kyrgios was the future of tennis. Perhaps it wasn't just Aussie boosting after all! Sorry I missed that match.

    And I just figure that the knitting we see in museums is the really perfect work that was saved and treasured for its perfection. The rest of those Shetland knitters must have been more like us. It comforts me to think so, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband pointed out to me that Stan Smith is an American, not an Australian.

      Delete
  3. Ellen1:22 PM

    Remember everything looks like a near disaster until blocked. I'm sure all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are our own worst critics! So true, and we point our mistakes out for everyone to see. When we buy something we don't scrutinize every stitch or seam but when we make something we are bound to perfection! And you know 99.9% of the population don't notice and don't care. They do truly enjoy the gift of something hand crafted for them. It makes them feel special and loved and that's what it is all about . Your shawl will be a treasured family heirloom honouring a special family event. Lifelines are a godsend. If you choose to use them I find using waxed dental floss is the best. It doesn't stick to any fibres and it is so easy to insert and more importantly pull out. Last thought I promise, all lace looks like a piece of crap till it is blocked. Then the stitches open up and relax and look like they are supposed to. Your shawl will be magnificent, truly a work of art! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just put a thin thread of a different color thru the stitches you are picking up from the body of the shawl Leave the stitches on the needle as well. You don't have to pick them all up at once. Leave the thread in place after you work that stitch for at least a few rows....makes sure the stitch doesn't get lost if you have to rip a bit out. Once you have picked up all the stitches that are on the safety line, use a needle and slide it few some more of the stitches that are on the needle. Takes but a few seconds, but can be a life saver...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed to find myself in the same sentence as Kate Davies! Someone - it may have been Kristie - commented recently that blogging makes you keep a lookout for photogenic content in your daily life. I'll be interested to see what caught your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. blogger ate my comments - a very long comment about how to upload your photos on your laptop. too late to re do. maybe another day. very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. =Tamar2:07 AM

    I think I read that many of the old stones were taken to the museum in Edinburgh. Miegle may be too famous for that fate, but it might be worth investigating before going to the original site.

    ReplyDelete