Wednesday, December 13, 2017

It has been another fairly unproductive day.

I had a tedious, business-y thing to do, involving the scanning of bank statements. I’ve done it. But that leaves quite a lot of other things undone.

I’ve found the J&S version of the shawl pattern – but have lost my invaluable Italian grammar book. I've reached the bit which any student of Italian will remember, when pronouns and untranslatable "particles" begin to attach themselves to the end of verbs, and then hive off and take their places in the sentence, the pronouns changing, the particles not. Slightly like nuclear physics.

Knitting has progressed well. I have done the first two – plain – rows of the shawl border, counting and counting; and am now establishing the pattern, still counting away. Once that’s done, it should look after itself.

And I was wrong: Mrs Hunter of Unst’s shawl, knit for the previous great-grandchild, has 185 stitches in each border at the beginning. This one has only 160. Should be a doddle.

Knitting the borders back and forth has the very considerable advantage of sparing me the agony of joining all that great length of edging together without twisting it. There was once, long, long ago when I did twist it, despite all my care and caution. I’m afraid I took my scissors to the corner that time.

You’ll have heard that Patreon has backed down, and is not going to impose a surcharge on patrons’ donations after all. Knitty says that their income is down $1000 (per month?) anyway.

And Susan Crawford says that the Vintage Shetland Project will be with us soon. “Eight years ago, when we started work on the Project, we had no idea what we would encounter along the way, but the obstacles we faced have only made the book stronger and better than we ever could have imagined.

One of those “obstacles” was the fact that crowdfunding produced more money than asked for or expected, so publication was postponed for the first of many times, to allow her to go back to Shetland for more research. It could have been more tactfully expressed.


Tomorrow I mean to start early and Get Things Done.

8 comments:

  1. After you finish the borders back and forth you pick up along it - 160 x 4? Yikes! I am working on some plain socks for Christmas presents. What a slacker I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andarsene. Oh, the pain. I am far from having mastered such verbs. Brava, Jean, for taking them on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, I read that you have had an unproductive day and then you enumerate all that you have done. I am a good 20 years younger than you and some days you make me tired just reading about your day! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too!

      Delete
    2. Ohmygoodness, I am with these two (you make us all seem so lazy!!!)

      Delete
  4. Tu ti seduta lavorava a maglia? (Now I am sure you can tell me what is wrong with that without looking anything up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google translate; "Thou sittest knitting?" and lots of images of crochet! My Italian, such as it is, is all from music. I once watched a piano masterclass where Andras Schiff was teaching a talented Japanese student using only "music Italian" which is not the same exactly as "proper Italian" - they said things like "senza pedale", "piu cantabile", "molto sonoroso" etc.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Jean, you will have to actually go and LIVE in Italy to fully utilize the amount of Italian you have already acquired. Maybe winters in Palermo? Chloe

    ReplyDelete