Saturday, January 20, 2018

“Rather fetching” is perfect for the Gioacchino Lanzi Tomasi of today, Shandy. (comment yesterday) Here is a relatively recent picture of him.



I watched the rest of Visconti’s “Gattopardo” – I’ve rented it on one of those arrangements which means it will vanish like a Boojum tomorrow, 48 hours after I started watching. It’s much better than I remembered. I saw it once in a cinema, many years ago.

I vividly remember when, as a child, perhaps at the age of 9 or 10, during the war, I first saw a movie made from a book I loved. It was “My Friend Flicka”. I had thought that the movie would show me the beloved book as I visualised it in my head. They got everything wrong. Visconti is better than that.

Knitting

What I can no longer avoid telling you is that I am in bad trouble with the baby shawl, and am resorting to my old, old mantra: it’ll be all right from here on out. (I am knitting the four borders of a traditional Shetland shawl in one long row.)

If I went in for lifelines, I would rip back to the end of Chart C. But I don’t. In Charts A, B & C I knit across the chart (rightly or wrongly), repeating as necessary, until I got to the marker for the corner, and then started again. I set out happily with Chart D in the same spirit, and soon saw that all was wrong.

And soon saw why – this time, I was supposed to knit the first section three times, then the centre section once, then the final section three times. I did some laborious tinking and set forth again, but the first border and (inexplicably) the second border are not right at all. The stitch count is right, but that’s not much comfort.

I have reverted to Gladys Amedro’s original pattern – not in her book – and I think things are going slightly better. I like her “T” and “C” – “take” and “cast” – for K2tog and YO. Those were the traditional Shetland terms, she says somewhere, and I find them easier to keep in one’s head.


Let’s hope for better news tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. oh....sending a virtual paw pat of sympathy over the knitting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:10 PM

    I hope you can sort out the shawl.
    It doesn't sound like you are ready to start all over.
    That would be a LOT of work.
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be all scrunched up around the baby anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Signor Lanza's photo reminds me a great deal of photos I have seen of C.S. Lewis. The photo you have posted looks like he should have a pipe somehow.
    I just know you will get that baby shawl figured out - those edgings are longer than the bodies!

    ReplyDelete