Thursday, January 18, 2018

Yes, Karen! (comment yesterday) I, too, got an email from Susan Crawford telling me to fill out a survey or else I couldn’t have my book. The point of the survey was to establish whether contact details had changed in the considerable amount of time that has elapsed since we crowdfunded. The website wasn’t entirely confidence-inspiring, and I particularly regretted the absence of a “Submit” button at the end.

We shall see.

There is happy news, too, on other fronts. Kate Davies is now in full swing with the West Highland Way club. The current offering is an oversized Fair Isle called Strathendrick. Interesting, tempting.

And the Early Winter VK turned up today. You Americans, at least, must have seen it weeks ago. It’s almost all rather interestingly Nordic. I am seriously tempted by Meg’s “Danish Sontag Shawl” which looks like something that would be useful in weather like this – chest warm, garment secure, hands and arms free. The cast-on is more than a bit daunting.

And I’m going to want Vivian Hoxbro’s new book, “Strik Danske Stjernetrojer”. It concerns Danish “nattrojer” – “night shirts” – decorated with knit and purl patterns and worn day and night, under other clothes. They sound as if they may be even earlier than the first Shetland knitting. (My friends and I, in the Shetland museum, were shown interesting 19th century onesies into which the wearer was sewn for the winter. But they weren’t decorated.)

If all else fails, Meg will find someone to translate it.

And I have more or less re-engaged with the shawl, and am determined to finish the current chart before turning in this evening. Only another half-row of plain-vanilla garter stitch.

Non-knit


The rest of the UK has had quite a lot of bad weather in the last 24 hours, but Edinburgh has been OK. More snow was forecast for last night, but instead we had a thaw, the streets and pavements were clear this morning, and I got out to the supermarket. A good thing, too: we were getting low on cat food. 

7 comments:

  1. Good to hear you sounding brighter, Jean - at least, I hope that is how you are feeling.
    I was puzzled by Kate Davies' most recent design. Could this be the one she describes as taking months and months to knit? In 4ply yarn that is a huge piece of Fair Isle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,Horrors! Low on cat food! At my house that would mean a trip out in any weather-rain, sleet, snow, hurricane-in order not to have those accusing eyes follow me around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Looks like your fatigue is lifting a bit. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:28 PM

    Clear streets are key for easier movement indeed.
    Wow Strathendrick would take a lot of knitting time. I can barely manage stranded mittens and maybe a hat.
    Have a good weekend!
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar4:35 PM

    Oooh, ooooh - I've been fascinated by those nightshirts for years! They are indeed older than documented Fair Isle. Some from Italy date to the 16th century or earlier. I'll want that book even if it isn't translated.

    We also had a bit of snow in Maryland, USA but nothing like the rest of the country, and it melted off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hoxbro book is definitely something I'd like, but would prefer it translated...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you guys got a break from snow! We're still melting out down here in Atlanta, but I think today'll be the last day any white stuff is left. Goodness knows it's been an unusually bad winter here thus far (I don't remember us ever having a snowstorm in December before), but at least we get breaks in between.

    That book sounds fascinating, and one to add to my wish list. I love learning about historical knitting (and adore the Piecework historical knitting magazines).

    Also, you sound like you're feeling better, so YAY! Just try to avoid the flu, it's nasty this year and hits like a dump truck (Mom and I are still getting over it, and it's been two weeks).

    Out of curiosity, how bad's the CO you mentioned? I think the worst I've considered is an 800+ one for the Frost Flowers Stole in a IK Gifts issue (rectangle knitted from the outside in), but the worst I've managed is a hundred or so.

    ReplyDelete