Friday, September 14, 2018


A fairly successful day. I’ve reached round 31, of 48, on the Kirigami yoke – that means that I have done the second major decrease round. We’re fairly whizzing along. The decrease rounds involve K3tog’s, a stitch I have had trouble with in my lace-knitting history. The three stitches stand there, yessir, nosir, and then as soon as I move away it turns out that the middle one wasn’t really part of the group and it skips merrily away. That hasn’t happened here, so far.

I’ve allowed myself to browse Jimmy Bean’s madtosh DK page. I haven’t been there for a while. And I’ve found the one I want for “Foldlines” – “Farmhouse White”. I had a moment of thinking that there’s still time to have it sent to my sister to bring to me – but there isn’t. She will set out on her travels any moment now, although not reaching us until the end of the month.

Still, they could send it directly. And I could take it along and knit Italy into it. I’m sure you know what I mean. But it would be a bit bulky for travel knitting. Better to stick with socks.

I got further forward with booking things. We’re now in Reggio Calabria, with a hotel. I even had the presence of mind to make sure that the Archaeological Museum – where the Riace bronzes live – is open on Monday. I feel slightly less anxious – the two days of rail travel (although they killed Il Gattopardo) should be restful interludes, as well as extremely interesting. My first job tomorrow will be to book the second one, Reggio Calabria-Catania by rail. I hope I am right that it’s possible – the former is on the continent, right down in the toe of the Italian boot. The latter is a town on the east coast of Sicily.

I am very grateful for your concern about my health. Yes, oxygen saturation was fine, the last time I saw a doctor. That’s one I know the numbers for, after hovering over my husband for so long. Tamar, sleep apnea is one I hadn’t thought of. My brother-in-law suffers from it. I can discuss the possibility with my sister when she’s here.

And energetic daily walking around the garden is a very good idea. Sometimes I do it, but not often enough.

3 comments:

  1. I reckon the K3tog is a lot trickier with laceweight and finer yarns. It is so much more likely to look as though you have caught all three when one is actually playing you false and escaping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Il Gattopardo didn't have knitting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:14 PM

    I am wondering if inserting a spare needle through the three stitches from the opposite direction would aid in the pick up of K3tog. Stopped my full blown panic attacks and fear of discovering the loss two inches down the garment. Look at me, trying to fix something that isn't broken. Do you suppose the trouble you AREN'T having is due to the high quality of the yarn you are using?
    I enjoyed the photos of the Kirigami yoke, thankyou lots. its lovely, but still looks like a blood pressure raiser if I were working it.

    ReplyDelete