Friday, September 07, 2018


I’m sorry for yesterday’s silence. I wasn’t entirely well – a sort of sub-flu. No knitting, no Pointless, not much eating or drinking, most of the day in bed. Much better today. I have advanced the second Kirigami sleeve to within two or three rounds of the final increase. There are only five more rounds after that, and I have a couple of promising television programmes salted down – so maybe tonight!

And today, I don’t know how or why, I finally got the Craftsy app to work on my iPad – previously, indeed for years, I had only been able to watch the video. Now I’ve got comments and pattern downloads and all. I celebrated by watching Any Detjen on the subject of joining sleeves to the body of a yoke sweater, with perhaps some profit.

And speaking of Famous Figures in the World of Knitting, I have had an email from Mucklestone-and-Johnston about their 2019 tour of Shetland. Alas, they seem very firm on the subject of fitness. You’ve got to be able to join in the walks. I would particularly like to go back to Burrastow, where the tour group is based and where Kristie and Cath and I stayed when we were there, however many years ago. But I can no longer walk the distances they require.

I’ll give up on trying to show you Alison Watt’s “Octavo” here but I can at least provide a link so that you can see an image of it for yourself. I was entirely deceived -- that’s what they call trompe l’oeil – when I first saw it, and even said to Greek Helen, “If that wasn’t a real piece of paper, it would have to be by Alison Watt”. She replied, “It’s not real. It is Alison Watt.”

This is, of course, a propos Norah Gaughan’s “Foldlines” pattern in the latest Brooklyn Tweed collection. That I have illustrated here, and it didn’t show up very well. The to-do list is embarrassingly long, but I think that one has found a place on it. And at least the Kirigami should be dispatched relatively soon.

There’s a new blog entry from KD, but she’s still thinking about Handywoman, not yet back to knitting. My husband had one of those turners that she is so enthusiastic about, in the last months of his life, for standing up out of his chair and transferring to a wheelchair. And it is, indeed, very ingenious and very good.

4 comments:

  1. Well, that's a relief! When I Googled Alison Watt I found some of her more suggestive works. I wasn't clear how these related to Norah Gaughan's geometric pattern. All becomes clear now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sent you an email with a link to http://www.shetlandwooladventures.com/ cannot seem to get my comment to publish.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, I am enchanted by Foldlines, myself. I have not made myself a sweater in almost a decade. Perhaps that will be the one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of Alison Watt, which is not at all surprising, as I know so little about painting. The fabric ones are quite enchanting!

    ReplyDelete