Saturday, August 03, 2019


I am just touching base to let you know that I am alive and well. Our expedition this morning was to the garden centre at Hopetoun House, near the Forth bridges. It’s a grand place, full of happy and energetic-looking plants. Helen bought a clematis and a strawberry plant for her new garden. I bought some seeds which may produce winter salads if I get them sown promptly. My niece C. was with us, and we had a good time giggling over coffee.

The return journey offers a splendid view of the three bridges lined up beside each other. The new one is a thing of beauty which doesn't seem to have attracted the fame it deserves.

But no knitting. And that (plus some local shopping after we got back) was enough walking for today, nor did I attempt further exercise. I did read a few more pages of “Wives and Daughters”. And there you have it.

Mary Lou, I’ve often been tempted by a Fitbit but fear I would be embarrassed by how little exercise I could produce for it. The fact that you are fond of yours tempts me further.

I like the sound of the ballet-for-the-elderly videos, too.

7 comments:

  1. No one has to know but you, Jean. Some days just seeing how few steps I’ve managed is an incentive.other days I figure a second piece of cake is in order. I think my next door neighbor must have one. Some evenings I see her pacing madly up and down the block about 10 times, then she goes back inside. Sometimes if I want to hit a goal I walk back and forth in the house waiting for the water to boil or some such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Fitbit has been known to register my knitting on occasion. It does encourage me to move around on “stay at home” days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do get one make sure it has a proper buckle on the wrist band. I lost a clip on Fitbit and have nearly lost my second one because the wrist band closes with just two prongs and they don’t hold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Fitbit works by using the swing of your arms. As you walk. As most of us only swing our arms when walking or running it’s pretty accurate. You would have to wear a device on your shoes to accurately count steps. However it’s better to get some result even if it could be a bit optimistic. I have to take mine off when I play the piano as a few hours of that activity increases the count erroneously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard of someone clocking up 3000 steps during a day in bed with a bad cold or something... She whiled away the hours doing some knitting.

      Delete
  5. My father-in-law thought he needed a new battery for his watch, but it turned out the watch needed arm/wrist activity to rejuvenate. He made himself do more arm movements so he could know the time. An amusing discovery for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:14 AM

    I use a simple step counter which sits in the skirt or trouser pocket or indeed shoulder bag. It is remarkably accurate and does not count leg movements while static nor moving from foot to foot while, for example, at the bus stop. cost under £10 from Amazon.
    Jenny S

    ReplyDelete