Thursday, September 05, 2019


As so often, there is little to report – but the central triangle of the Spring Shawl is finished. There is a tiny twist of yarn left. It would be absurd even for me to employ it. Here is the shawl:



The stitch count, unbelievably, came out exactly right. Obviously the picture suffers from the fact that the stitches on the top row are drawn in. So tomorrow I must stow those stitches somehow or other, and face the question of whether I have a suitable needle or needles for picking up the side stitches.

Then the fun begins.

Non-knit

Greek Helen and C. and I went to the “Cut and Paste” show at the Gallery of Modern Art today – collage through the ages. It was extremely interesting, although Helen rightly said that individual artists (except perhaps for Picasso and Matisse) sort of got submerged in the technique.

I felt terribly weak. My personal trainer will be back in action tomorrow. (Also, my cleaner should be back from Romania.) I need her. I need both of them.

Reading

Thank you for suggestions. I think Phineas Redux is a good idea, Stashdragon. Currently I am reading the last few pages of Spark’s “Memento Mori”. Maybe I’ll say a word or two about it tomorrow. I read it once before, when Muriel Spark and I were young. It’s a book about old age, and it’s coming across rather differently now.

4 comments:

  1. As always Jean you are a master of understatement: "coming across rather differently now". Should I try re-reading it? I was young then too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl is looking good. I do admire your stamina on a long-term project like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shawl is gorgeous even bunched up! I should go back and reread Memento Mori, and it reminds me of a couple of May Sarton memoirs I read in my 30's, written when she was "old," I know they would read differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is beautiful - indeed the fun part begins soon:)! Wishing you enjoyment on the journey:)! I too am getting old, thankfully! :)

    ReplyDelete