Wednesday, September 11, 2019


My cleaner is back from Romania! Archie and I have just about kept our heads above water in the month she has been away, but it is bliss to have her back, and the amount of cleanliness and order she was able to install in three hours’ work this morning is astonishing.

And all is well with the Spring Shawl. Those “slanted sticks” or whatever they’re called haunted my dreams last night, but I’ve got them right, and they’re nearly finished. Then will follow four whole rows of plain garter stitch before the borders begin in earnest. The tear-shaped motifs in a Paisley shawl (and in Sharon’s Princess shawl) are called “botehs” – that’s the word I was too sluggish to look up last night.

The current episode of Fruity Knitting concerns Cristel Seyfarth, a Danish designer, as mentioned yesterday. She’s keen on costume – think Alice Starmore’s recent book. And she mixes colours in “magic balls” like Kaffe, although you couldn’t possibly mistake the work of one for the other. She’s attractive, and interesting, but I don’t think I’m going to pursue the episode to the end.

Mary Lou (comment yesterday), I think you’d better go see “Mustang” but be wary of violence and unpleasantness.

And, yes, I am very happy to have a namesake great-granddaughter in Ruby Jean. My husband had two namesakes among the grandchildren – Mungo Hamish Harold and this year’s bridegroom, Joseph Michael James. (James=Hamish) Both Rachel and James – my son James -- have/had mothers-in-law named Joan, and I thought it would be nice to knock off two at once by naming a girl Jane. But Rachel’s husband Ed had been frightened by an Aunt Jane in infancy and recoiled from the idea, and I may never have suggested it to James and Cathy.

3 comments:

  1. I started out thinking I wouldn't watch all of this episode of Fruity Knitting, then enjoyed it thoroughly to the end. I doubt I would ever knit any of the projects, but I most certainly would wear the Turkish floral coat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently learned that James=Hamish in looking up the name Giacomo. The variations of this name in different languages is fascinating. Glad to hear your cleaner is back, but I'm not sure I'd realized that Archie was helping out, so good of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar7:41 PM

    Names are so sensitive, sometimes. I know of one instance where Eliza and Elizabeth were "combined" as Lisa...

    ReplyDelete