Saturday, February 15, 2020


A stormy day. But, as usual so far this winter, worse elsewhere than in Edinburgh.

I proceeded without incident on the Cameron Shawl edging. Three scallops to go until I reach the first corner. Andrew Marr tomorrow morning should take care of most of that.

I bought a book today called Typographic Knitting by Rudiger Schlomer (sprinkle with umlauts ad lib), published by the Princeton Architectural Press. I saw it reviewed in VK. The author is a man, and I would gather he’s somewhat new to knitting. Too much of the book is given over to elementary instruction. I need to spend some more time with it – so far, I would say that the pages of charted alphabets are the most useful element, but there is more. The author is Swedish, I think.

Comments

Beverly in NJ, thank you for your suggestion – using one of those light plastic safety pins to distinguish one side of the knitting from the other. I’ve done it – marking every 5 ½ scallops (one quarter of a side, one eighth of the amount I’ve set myself to do). Then it is just a matter of giving an instant’s thought at the beginning of each row: Where am I?

Shandy, I do agree that the opening pages of “Busman’s Honeymoon” are brilliant, and that it is a shame that Sayers remained mired in puzzles and clues. Interesting that she’s got a statue, and hard to imagine. I’d better google.

Peggy, I like your idea of giving my poor avocado some more light, and I will do it if there ever is any. So far, not, ever since your comment on Wednesday. It’s a south-facing window, and the sun is strong when it condescends to appear.

1 comment:

  1. The statue is of Sayers in later life, a solid, respectable older lady. A curiosity, especially in Witham. What Lord Peter would have made of it, Heaven knows.

    ReplyDelete