Thursday, February 13, 2020


Progress.

I am now further ahead with the “new” Cameron shawl than I was when I abandoned the first attempt and started again. That’s always a critical point. And I have now done half of the necessary edging for one side of the shawl. It’s going to be huge.

All well so far. At some point I am bound to make a major error. I don’t use lifelines – I tried once and found it such a struggle to get it in place that it didn’t seem worth the bother.

The edging – all of the shawl, I think – has alternate plain rows. (That means it’s either “knitted lace” or “lace knitting”. I can never remember which is which, and don’t try very hard.) I have had a difficulty on several occasions, starting a lacy row from the wrong end (that is, omitting the plain row). Now that I have inserted that extra stitch, both rows present themselves with a YO in third place, facilitating the error. So far I have been able to retrieve the mistake with careful tinking. I think it’s a good policy not to do too much at a time.

One I have done two sides and picked up two borders and started inwards, I might allow myself a relief WIP for Tuesdays and Thursdays. Foldlines? We’ll see.

Non-knit

I finished watching “White House Farm”. (Although the farmhouse they showed us wasn’t white, which kept worrying me.) Jeremy Bamber is one of the relatively few people in GB who is serving a life sentence which really means life. He is, I think, the only one of them who has stoutly maintained his innocence throughout. (He has a website: you can look him up.) He is clearly a thoroughly disagreeable man, but was he guilty? I incline slightly towards the good old Scottish verdict of Not Proven.

He was adopted. His natural parents were not married when he was born, but later got so. They work at Buckingham Palace and I think they have other children. After Jeremy was convicted of shooting his adoptive parents, adoptive sister, and her twin sons, Social Services (or somebody) told the natural parents that he was theirs.

3 comments:

  1. So unlike the US where our prisons are full to bursting with life sentenced persons. Still on the subject of Dorothy Sayers, I stumbled across two recent books with her at the center. I’ve got one from the library, the other isn’t available yet in the US. Square Haunting “
    An eloquent study of five female writers who lived in the same London square illuminates the courage of independent women in the early 20th century” and The Mutual Admiration Society: How Dorothy L. Sayers and her Oxford Circle Remade the World for Women. I promise to stop now! I’m weaving in ends on a striped pullover, so tedious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:08 AM

    When I have trouble remembering whether I'm on a plain row or a pattern row, I'll put one of those plastic safety pin things on the beginning edge of the pattern row. Doesn't even need to be very close to the current stitching, though I keep it not-too-far just to annoy & remind me.

    Beverly in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading my way through Dorothy L Sayers and have just moved from "Gaudy Night" to "Busman's Holiday." The opening of the latter is priceless. It seems such a waste of her comic talents that she spent so much time on alibis and timetables. She spent her later life in Witham, not ten miles from where I live - it's now one of those towns which has died on its feet. There her cottage is with its blue plaque and a statue of her in later life.

    ReplyDelete