Thursday, October 14, 2021

 

All well. Rachel and Ed are here. It’s wonderful to have them. They’re going on to Alexander at Loch Fyne tomorrow, then Kirkmichael. This is a sort of Triumphal Progress to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary. They started off with the hotel in Cheshire or Northumberland (or some such place) where they spent their honeymoon. It has become distinctly Fawlty-esque in the interval.

 

Helen still has her cold. She and Archie were here last night, to share a Greek take-away. She sounded pretty cold-y. I stayed well away. I think we’re having another take-away tonight. Perhaps I’ll join in a bit more.

 

C. with her daughter, son-in-law, and grandson (wee Hamish) joined us for a while yesterday. By accident, here's a four-generational picture. Me in the background, much of Rachel in front of me, some of Hamish’s mother Christina to the right (she’s Rachel’s first cousin once removed – I love that sort of stuff), and Hamish, of course, in front.




 

I’m still enormously weak, but I made some progress towards the resumption of the Calcutta Cup vest today. I found the knitting easily, the yarn fairly soon thereafter. But the all-over colour pattern is a chart in Sheila McGregor’s Fair Isle book, and that I could not find. I got a good deal of paper sorted and thrown out but still no book. Then I put the problem to Daniela, who found it at once, in a pile I had already looked through.

 

So now I’ve located my particular pattern, and found my place in it, and have knit a few stitches.

 

Books

 

Somebody asked where to start with Margorie Allingham – but now I can’t find the comment. I think you might as well start at the top: Tiger in the Smoke. Then go back (in time, to the early war years) to Traitor’s Purse. It has a brilliant McGuffin, that one. I think I read somewhere once that early reviews pooh-pooh’d it as ridiculous, but it turned out after the war that the Germans had had the same idea. If so, I don’t know what frustrated it, in the absence of Mr. Campion.

 

I’ve finished the latest Serrailler. It ended rather inconclusively, I thought. I don’t know where to turn next.

 

Thank you for the recommendation of The Thursday Murder Club, Karen. I’ve been hesitating over that one. I adore Richard Osman unreservedly, but it sounded rather formulaic.

 

I saw Clinton-Penny well-reviewed somewhere this very day. I’m not a fan of hers. She hurt my feelings right at the beginning, with that crack about baking cookies. I didn’t want her to be president – I would prefer the first American woman president to be someone who has made her own name, rather than sailing under her husband’s flag. Also I don’t like the idea of a president who has already served two terms slipping back into the White House through the kitchen door. I’m sure the framers of the 22nd Amendment would have been astonished at the notion, although I can’t imagine what they would have done about it.

 

None of that has anything to do with her book.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling a little stronger, Jean! Celebrate the small wins when you get them -- they do add up to the big win eventually.

    I also loved The Thursday Murder Club, and have just finished The Man Who Died Twice -- equally engrossing -- and recommend them highly. Funny and tricky -- good qualities in murder mysteries, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Jean! Great to have you back and sounding stronger. I endorse the Thursday Murder Club (and have just discovered that there is a sequel). Both my husband and I enjoyed it, and his tastes usually run much more sinister. It may be a bit formulaic but I found Osman’s storytelling a delight.

    I am not sure what more Hilary R-C could do to make a name on her own — other than not having married Bill in the first place (!). I do share your concern about political dynasties but I think she has otherwise accomplished plenty thanks to her own brain power and hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:27 PM

      I share your thoughts on Hilary Clinton. And remember, the 22nd Amendment does not bar relatives of previous presidents from becoming president. Its framers weren't concerned about dynasties but about one-person rule.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  3. Have just reread The Enchanted April (Elizabeth von Armin) and enjoyed Thursday Murder Club. I like Catherine Fox; she's blogging her current novel, a new episode every month, following the news; www.companyofheaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thursday Murder Club is indeed a bit formulaic, feeling so especially toward the end, but rather charming. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And another comment to say: "first cousin once removed" - I too loved that stuff, my mother was meticulous about those things, which marked her as even more eccentric in our little Saskatchewan village. Stood me in very good stead decades later when I worked on cancer genetics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only I were close enough for Hamish to model! He’s sweet looking. Have you read Stuart Turton? I recently finished “The Devil and the Dark Water: A Locked-Room Historical Mystery” and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever read one of the Dr.Ruth Galloway mysteries by Elly Griffith? I started reading my first one yesterday,and I quite enjoyed the first fifty pages.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another vote for Thursday Murder Club and Elly Griffith's Ruth Galloway series. Just read Thursday and found it delightful comfort reading. Also, have you ever read the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian? Love the inadvertent 4-generation photo! You're even in order from back to front.

    ReplyDelete