Thursday, February 17, 2022

 

I have had a stressful day because my Visa card stopped working, the one I use for Amazon and Paypal. I knew there was plenty of money to back it up, and feared I had been hacked. I emailed the provider, who emailed straight back to say that she had tried to phone me and couldn’t. My landline turned out to be down – indeed, it still is. We  got things straightened out by mobile – the Accts. Dept. had queried a payment of mine and stopped the card. It was a small payment and seemed to me no more eccentric than a lot of the things I spend money on, but there’s no accounting for Accts. Depts. All is now said to be well, but I will let the card rest for a couple of days to get its breath back. I will do the same with the telephone – maybe it will recover when the weather calms down.

 

The cancelled payment to Amazon which started all the fuss was for a monthly delivery of cat litter. I have paid for it with a different card – some things are really serious.

 

It has been just the sort of stressful day that usually makes me grateful for a restoring draft of cider – but there is no cider here and I have come through pretty well without it.

 

Helen and I got around the garden this morning in between squally showers. I failed Wordle – although I got four of the five letters, in their right places. This sort of situation is not infrequent in Wordle. There were a number of different words which might have provided the final answer, and no way to choose except by guesswork. I might have got “agora” the other day but I was on the “aroma” path, and just as well: I got it after getting RO in the right place. For “agora” I would have had only the O, and the news that R was somewhere else. (Comments yesterday)

 

And the knitting, despite all the excitements of the day, progresses well. I need 43 increases to finish that first sloped front, and I’ve passed 30. The trouble is that each row is longer than the preceding one, so that score isn’t quite as good as it sounds.

 

No rugby this weekend, and just as well – we are expecting another storm tomorrow, even worse than before.

6 comments:

  1. I got AROMA on the last try. Todays I got on try #3. That's always a fluke. (Also a 5 letter word!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too failed Wordle today — too many possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first wordle failure in the month I’ve been at it. Yes, too many candidates for that fourth letter. I got aroma quickly and like to think I’d have got agora too, having been a tourist in Athens and read several novels set in Ancient Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got today's on the 6th attempt when there were other possibles still to go for that missing fourth. A lot of it is luck of the draw. I have got it in two on 2 occasions cos I was lucky with my first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too failed Wordle today after getting three letters in the right places on my first try and the second letter on the third try. When I got to my sixth try there were still two words possible and, typical of my usual rotten luck, I chose the wrong one…..oh, well……..

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar7:58 AM

    Perseverance brings results! We had a lovely day here, rather warm for the season; we seem to be having the February warm spell.

    ReplyDelete