Friday, July 29, 2022

 I’m sorry about yesterday. I wasn’t entirely well, and spent most of it in bed. I’m pleased to say that I feel much better today – exercises done, garden walked in with C. Her news is good, too. Christina and Manaba have both finished their Covid and are testing clear. Christina had an actual, physical ante-natal appt today and all is well. There is less than a month to go.

 

And I am promised a visit to the kittens next week!

 

I’m sorry to say that the legwarmers still aren’t finished. It’s no use telling you that the final ribbing is easy and pleasant – it’s still got to be done. I’ve now done more than half of it, and have great hopes for tomorrow.

 

Vegetables: Unknown (comment Wednesday): You do well to remind me of new potatoes. I should rejoice at what I can grow instead of fretting about corn and globe artichokes which are beyond my reach. New potatoes can be grown in canvas bags on the doorstep. I'll try again next year. I had some in '18 but they were stolen.


And I share your experience, of things not tasting as good as they used to. My father had a Victory Garden during the war in which, among other things, he grew snow peas, in those days not to be had in supermarkets. They were beyond delicious. When I started growing vegetables in Kirkmichael, that was the first thing I went for. I tried year after year. He sent me seeds from America. I tried every variety in the catalogues. The crops were successful, but nothing tasted remotely like those Detroit peas.

 

Wordle: I did it yesterday, so my little streak is unbroken. I found it very difficult today – my starter words yielded four brown tiles, two vowels and two consonants. The consonants were a pair which often appear together. I wasted time and guesses on the assumption that that was true here. It isn’t. I finally got it with a skin-of-my-teeth five. Mark scored two again, blast him; Thomas and his father Alexander 3; Ketki four. I am back in my familiar position of class dunce.

 

 

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:00 PM

    Jean, one of my fiercely intelligent friends failed at today’s Wordle, for the first time ever in her six months of play. I got it four, but that took focus — especially knowing that my friend had failed. So glad that all is well with Christina. (This is The Other Kristen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Kirsten is very happy about her Wordle today! As you said a few days ago, Jean, wordle in 2 is a perfect joy! We had sweetcorn from the supermarket (ocado) today, first time this year, and it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you were uwell yesterday but it sounds like day-in-bed was the correct treatment.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:02 PM

    It took me four today - lucky guess. I wonder about the flavor of vegetables and where they are grown. A friend who lives in Norway says corn on the cob and steak are available there, but taste nothing like the US version. I fondly remember Jersey tomatoes and peaches from my childhood. My tomatoes are good, but not like those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar12:31 AM

    One reason things taste different is the soil and, even more, the water. The identical recipe, cooked with same-sourced ingredients by the same person, in a different place will taste different because of the water. When the plant is grown in different soil, it will taste different. It isn't just minerals, micro-organisms are also involved. Wine tasters aren't just putting it on. They are trained super-tasters, and most of us have that potential.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:12 AM

    Glad a day in bed put you right.
    I agree about vegetables, they are not always as delicious as one remembers. I appreciate the comments about the soil contributing to the flavor.
    I managed Wordle in 4 today but one sister got very lucky and managed 2. My other sister also got it in 4. It is so much fun for us to compare results as you share your results with your family. We keep it lighthearted and never gloat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:12 AM

    I forgot to sign my name…Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:23 AM

    Very good points about vegetable flavor. In the case of modern sweetcorn though, it has been bred to taste sweeter on the principle that the sweet hit is all most buyers are interested in. If you want more flavour, you need to buy an older variety or be lucky in your farm grower!
    I do feel that freshness is important to flavour too. Friends in Switzerland but all their veg from a local market and eat them quickly rather than storing at home, and the quality and flavour are astonishingly better than anything I have found in the UK (even a UK local market or truly local farm store). I think that might be the different soil and weather kicking in.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone who finds the right answer in Wordle is not a dunce. Even those of us who sometimes fail can't be dunces because we are trying and using those little gray cells to challenge ourselves.
    Also about vegetables I was lucky enough to be born in the Southern part of the US and to have relatives with large gardens who loved to share their produce. Nothing better than freshly picked and we took them for granted. But you are right in my memories those vegetables tasted so much better than what is on offer today even at farmer's markets.
    So glad a day in bed restored your spirits and your energy. We all need a "day off" occasionally.

    ReplyDelete