Sunday, July 03, 2022

 

Little to report. Archie came to see me. We don’t even attempt walking these days. I did my exercises vigorously, however. Helen will be back in Edinburgh late tomorrow, air transport permitting; C. on Tuesday.

 

I also knit vigorously. I’ve set myself to get around the yoke of the Lilias Day three times daily – it’s a long way around. I’ve now done 18 rounds, and the significance of that is that round 20 is the first decrease round, and decreases are severe – four stitches lost in every pattern repeat, and I think there are 14 repeats in all. So that will be exciting and maybe I can do more than three circuits thereafter.

 

Wordle: I struggled, as usual. Got it in five. Everybody else in my little group did better, but at least I didn’t fail.

 

I hope you Americans are all enjoying your holiday weekend and eating plenty of corn on the cob. Goodness, I do miss that.

4 comments:

  1. =Tamar6:41 PM

    The local fireworks were on the first; I think they saw the weather predictions, because Friday and Saturday nights both had rain. We'll see about Sunday and Monday (the actual fourth) nights. Have fun with the decreases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou3:02 PM

    I made it in 6 - and that was sheer luck. It is raining here on July 4, and we need it so badly I hope it rains for several days. The local fireworks were cancelled, and rain may keep the amateurs at bay. I'm looking at new recipes for salad dresssing. I normally use a plain vinaigrette, but think I need to branch out this summer, as we have a lovely bounty of some heirloom lettuces. Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:16 AM

      There is a "Japanese" salad dressing, which I always picture combined with grated carrot.
      https://www.thespruceeats.com/basic-japanese-salad-dressing-2031180

      This one has been a hit with more like romaine lettuce. https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2021/04/15/kitchen-tricks-from-toronto-chef-and-tv-personality-shahir-massoud-you-need-to-know.html
      Massoud even uses yogurt to whip up a healthier dupe for Caesar salad dressing (which can also double as a sandwich spread): Mix 1 half-cup (125 mL) Greek yogurt with 1 half-cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons (10 mL) Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 5 teaspoons (25 mL) sherry vinegar, 1 finely minced garlic clove, 1 quarter-cup (65 mL) freshly grated Parmesan, 1.5 teaspoons (7.5 mL) salt and 1 half-teaspoon pepper.

      Ottolenghi has some good tahini sauces but they seem thicker and a better match for roasted vegetables, not lettuces?

      Really good balsamic vinegar can be a fun change, with its sweetness.

      Hmm time to try a new salad dressing!
      Lisa RR

      Delete
  3. =Tamar5:31 PM

    Mary Lou -- maybe lemon juice and salt?

    ReplyDelete