Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Dies atra

 Not much further forward, but perhaps a little. No knitting. Daniela administered a bath this morning and I spent the rest of the morning wondering whether that might not have been a step too far. I spent the afternoon in bed, dozing, and feel somewhat better. I recognise the truth of what you say, Tamar – that if an antibiotic has improved my condition, it must be due to something other than viral ailments. My sister also thought I needed an antibiotic although she seemed to think that the one chosen was a bit feeble. There’s only one more day of it. Sometimes one feels better simply because the course of antibiotics has ended. The doctor who came here said to phone again when the course was finished, if I wasn’t better. I’ll leave that until Monday. (GPs no longer work weekends – there’s an emergency service.)

 

Current affairs: I am not black, but I’m also not British, and I am often asked where I’m from. I’m not offended. It seems a reasonable conversation-starter.

 

It occurred to me as I was drifting back towards consciousness from my pleasant nap, that the King is updating the monarchy much as the Papacy has been updated. Except that in the latter case it was pleasantly gradual, starting perhaps with John XXIII. Whereas the monarchy has gone from Pius XII to Francis in a single leap.

 

Wordle: Five, today, my least-liked score. I got three greens at the beginning of the word, and guessed wrong twice. Four was the big score today. Ketki and Theo joined me with five. And Theo’s father Roger, now presumably safely although wearily back in DC, was today’s winner with a three.

9 comments:

  1. Mary Lou7:55 PM

    Have you seen the free Ravelry pattern for a Wordle hat?? https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wordle-hat

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have the chance of another doc visit, take it. I waited on the phone (111) on Saturday night for 45 minutes for someone to answer, then another 4 hours for a doctor to call back (by this time, 12.45am).Nobody's fault. Weekend nights are worst for NHS staff. I don't know how they do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:08 PM

    Jean, Ngozi Fulani is British born. A better comparison, then, may be whether your children and grandchildren are asked “where they are from.” (This is The Other Kristen)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:25 AM

    It would have been more tactful to ask where the family came to the UK from. Everyone in the UK - barring those who walked across Doggerland thousands of years ago - came "from" somewhere else and many, many people know the place and are happy to talk about it. It might have been intended as the prelude to a conversation about any known different treatments of women in other parts of the world. I do agree the whole thing has been very unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:33 AM

    I am one of those people resistant to change. I thought not saying the Mass in Latin was pretty much of a jolt and still slightly resent John XXIII for it. But there are probably lots of “young “Brits” who think changes can’t come fast enough. Charles has a prickly job ahead of him. Your cold sounds reassuringly as if it’s running its course, but at our age it is obviously wise to be vigilant. I am being vigorously urged to get the flu shot. I keep forgetting to make an appointment. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:49 AM

    I made my comment not knowing about the Ngozi Falani affair that elicited the discussion. I am resistant to changes in Custom which is often superficial and invariably changes. I was raised with the Golden Rule which should be hard-rock Principle for everyone and have tried
    always to follow it. Chlpe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Yet another explanation. I agree with you Jean, there is no reason to be offended by asking such a natural question. These days we bend over backwards not to offend, hence my roundabout comments re the Golden Rule, etc. i wanted to be sure I didn’t appear insensitive and perhaps sounded disapproving of your thinking. These days we all bend over backwards not to appear insensitive, and end up going around in circles instead. Chloe


    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the initial question was acceptable, it was that it was repeated several times that was objectionable. If you ask someone where they’re from and they give you an answer why would you keep asking unless you don’t believe them? It’s not like we don’t have substantial black populations that have been in our countries for generations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Yes, she was highly offensive - now that I heard more of the story. And probably of a social environment oblivious to other people’s feelings. There are so many ways to handle this. From a quick sharp verbal response to what actually occurred: public censure. The touching of the hair was inexcusable on any level and perhaps needed to be addressed publicly. But as bad as it was, I hope the young lady feels that she has made her point and can move on. There are so many more important battles to win and positive goals to achieve. Chloe

    ReplyDelete