Sunday, July 02, 2023

 I’ve had a happy 24 hours at Cramond, everything progressing as planned. The only downer is that there is no conversation at all over meals. They all look fairly compos mentis over there at the Top Table but they sit in silence. There are four of us at “my” table, two of each sex. The other woman seems pleasant and I would like to talk to her, but it seems bad-mannered to natter on while the men sit in gloomy silence. One seems to prefer silence. The other often makes brief remarks but I can’t understand them. The woman tells him to tuck his napkin in at the neck for maximum protection and he doesn’t like that. 

I have been re-reading my blog account of last year’s sojourn at Cramond. How comparatively active I sound! Sweaters flying from the needles! The account of that summer goes on in similar fashion. When did I sag? 

C. went to Drummond Place before her visit here this morning, and has brought me my knitting. But I haven’t resumed it. 

Wimbledon should set us talking, if anything could. Except I fear I might prefer watching on my iPad to the huge televisions on offer around every corner here. I am on the second floor this time (third floor, American). I must go downstairs soon and see if I can push my walker around the garden. I am doing pretty well at movement considering that I have been pinned to my bed for a fortnight, but so far have been pushed to meals in a wheelchair. There are plenty of chairs and sofas in the corridors. I could set off mid-morning and pause when I had to. 

I’m reading industriously. Last Year reminds me to try Antonia Fraser on Mary Q. of S. I never did that.I never finished her mother’s book on the Duke of Wellington, either.

Wordle: we were remarkably consistent with fours today, except that Ketki needed five. Nothing of note happened yesterday. Nothing from America so far today.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:39 PM

    It's going to be interesting to compare Cramond with the facility I've come to know here in Seattle. Best of luck adjusting to your ever changing circumstances. Janet in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:35 PM

    I think I would try a little gentle chat. It might soften everyone up.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early days, early days? Maybe you'll be a conversational catalyst. It does remind me of the account of Lucy and Charlotte's first evening at the pension in Florence in 'Room with a view'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:28 PM

    I concur - try gentle chat. You are the new person who doesn't know the others' habits. Maybe your tablemates are also ready for a change.
    Do you recognize anyone from your previous stay?
    Thanks so much for your reports! Your blog readers appreciate them very much! You have been on our minds.
    Have a good week ahead
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar3:25 AM

    This may also be a time when they are unusually quiet while adjusting to someone else leaving. Perhaps a comment about looking forward to Wimbledon would be neutral enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, you sound reinvigorated! This is good news. Perhaps ask the staff to introduce you to a longer term resident?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:43 AM

    I’ve come across such taciturn individuals. It might be slow going. Maybe you can make headway. Maybe a different table. My brief encounter with A. Fraser found her to be a little dry. Or maybe it was me. It’s not Mary Queen of Scots (alas!), but for American history David Attenborough is very readable (at least that’s my years’ ago memory of him). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Whoops! It’s David McCullough. I always get those two names mixed up! Very different people. Sorry! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Lou6:33 PM

    I read an interesting article on th elong friendship between Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova in the Washington Post. https://s2.washingtonpost.com/camp-rw/?trackId=634dbc0fd72793706ecbe798&s=64a19a74835758190fb7449e&linknum=4&linktot=54&linknum=4&linktot=54

    ReplyDelete